myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to sail when it's flooding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthompson156

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Where to sail when it's flooding? Reply with quote

Relatively new to the area, have been sailing at Crissy when it's windy and ebbing, but would like to branch out some more. Are there any specific spots that are good to keep in mind for incoming tides? I guess top priority would be somewhere where you don't need massive gear to stay upwind. Having some sort of swell would be a bonus.

I was down looking at Treasure Island this afternoon, it was blowing pretty solid and looked like some small-ish waves not far out, but there was no one else sailing and it was flooding, so I passed. I then took a look at Crissy on the way home, but there wasn't much wind anywhere near the shore.

I sail an 85 liter board up to 5.2. If it's not windy enough for that I'm ok with not sailing that day. But today, for example, it was definitely windy enough for that gear in parts of the bay from what I could tell, so it was kind of a bummer to not get out there.

Anyways, thanks for any ideas/input.

-Matt
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlestick is a spot that's fairly tide independent and picks up a few different wind directions. Sailed there today on 4.4/89... was good at first and then wind got flukey... but I didn't get there until 4:30 or so... I heard it was good early.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where to sail when it's flooding? Reply with quote

Coyote can be great: easy parking, grass, showers, easy beach access, a windsurfing shop (!). It has the longest runs in the Bay Area, 2-3-4-5 miles out, some of the steadiest winds and good swell. The tide is very much less than at Crissy, to the point of being insignificant, I don't even check it. Go out to the channel markers, and stay out, or rig a bit bigger and stay "inside" the two yellow buoys.

Sailed there yesterday with 5.0 and 85L boards and had a great time in the channel sailing all the way south-east of Haskins. Powered up for almost two hours until I got tired and made it back (slogging a bit inside).

It has become my favorite destination when Crissy does not work (i.e. most of the time) or the Stick is flaky and I feel like driving and extra 15'.

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: 3rd Ave middle inside to channel Reply with quote

3rd Ave was good today despite flood. I don't have a flood busting setup either, just 5.0, 84, and wave fin, no problem staying upwind. As long as there's good quality wind of at least low 20s u r ok in flood. If the channel current is to strong many stay on the inside where current is less. Real nice flood waves form just inside of the channel and further inside. These can be a lot if fun to play on. The water today was ocean green instead of the usual mud color so that was nice.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swell at Berkeley is best on a fllood if the wind is cooperating. It likes to die inside quickly when the heat bubble comes down from the hills.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd and Coyote alike have less current than Crissy, although it gets noticeable in the 3rd Ave channel. With the prevailing NW/WNW direction you can always gauge if you're losing ground against the channel markers.
Get a slightly bigger fin than the usual setup; this gives more drive upwind for only a few dollars and can make or break it.

Somebody posted this in another thread and I want to mention that Crissy in a flood can be great fun when there's lot of South in the wind direction and it's filled in. This means flat water reaches all the way to the South tower (correction: North Tower) and beyond.

Last edited by jpf18 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Sail the delta when Crissy is flooding Reply with quote

Check out sherman island when it's flooding in the bay, usually the opposite tide for the delta and the weather and water are usually a lot warmer.

end of jibe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.78 KB
 Viewed:  10529 Time(s)

end of jibe.jpg

tomg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a big fin n be happy

why limit your sailing to half that days?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodnGun is best on slight floods with NW coast winds.
Larkspur works well on floods with thick fog over SF.
All the coast spots are good on flood tides, and sketchy on ebb tides.
As said, Sherman is almost reverse tides, so floods when ebbs are happening in the bay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: