myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freestyle board for freesailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the OP of this thread, please stop.

Thank you all for the relevant information that was posted, as for the rest of it, well, I did say in my OP something about ensuing mayhem, and I got that too.

but now, please end it.

btw, most people I know know enough not to listen to anecdotal stories, hearsay, etc. and can tell the difference between that and real life personal experiences. There didn't need to be any posts telling others what to listen to and what not to, it's pretty easy to figure out who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't.

thank you and have a nice day.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because iW and Weatherflow refuse to moderate the pissing, it's incessant, and I reserve the right to complain about it and defend myself occasionally so the astute readers can see who's doing the hosing. If more people would chastise the worst offenders, maybe it would diminish.

After our last "pissing match" here and my correspondence with iWindsurf behind the scenes, I've unfortunately come to find out that you are the reason why they won't do anything. You're a money maker Isobars! Get use to it! If you're not on the payroll already you should be because you're the reason people come here. It's the same reason people slow down and clog the freeway to see a wreck.

Last edited by noshuzbluz on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
as the OP of this thread, please stop.

but then, in his very next sentence, reopened the personal argument floodgates when he wrote:
btw,most people I know know enough not to listen to anecdotal stories, hearsay, etc. and can tell the difference between that and real life personal experiences.

I don't care what board you buy, Dennis, but as evidenced by previous threads on the same topic, others have the same question. For them ...

Real life personal experiences -- exactly what is posted by everyone here -- ARE, by definition and by intent, anecdotal; that's what the term means. I offered one from a very credible bud* only as a vivid illustration of the general consensus, expressed by the hearsay in this and previous FS board threads, that most FS boards ride roughly when powered up in chop ... the B&J application you inquired about.

* He lives in the corridor, is retired, and is a very long-time (>20 years) dedicated and expert full-time FS sailor who sails here and elsewhere all year. I consider his experience regarding this thread as fact, not rumor, else I wouldn't have included it.

Sadly, most people do NOT understand the validity or non-validity of either hearsay OR anecdotal experience, as evidenced by the number of otherwise intelligent people in medical forums who die from choosing treatments based on what they're told by other individuals. HEARING (or reading) a Skate owner or a cancer patient SAY (get it? "Hearsay"?) how his Skate or treatment worked is not proof that his PERSONAL (thus anecdotal) EXPERIENCE is generally applicable; it's larger scale evidence, such as magazines or medical journals or 8 people agreeing , that start smelling like real data. Diminishing the value of the latter diminishes the value of a forum, especially one as serious as a medical forum, as anyone familiar with statistics would recognize.

Maybe the worst impact of their incessant pissing is on the few readers who don't see how thoroughly the whiners' accusations are disproved by the facts vs their own words. Those readers are thus denied worthy facts and opinions for their consideration.

Supper's ready.

Last edited by isobars on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think that he left out the "but I'll be back" part.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I was sailing at Stevenson's today in gusty choppy water. I was on my Fanatic freewave 86 and a 4.7 (185 pounds). I thought it was nasty enough on my gear (still sailed over 1 1/2 hours). A guy came in and his board looked familiar. After talking with him I found out it was my old Naish freestyle 100 that I sold through Windance. I was surprised cause I wouldn't have wanted to be out on it. Well he was stoked and loved it in the conditions (a little heavier than me). So to each his own. One man's chop is another man's bliss...
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having once been wheedled (admonished Wink ) by Puffin into 'having a go' at some simple freestyle, I stuck a smaller fin in my Exo Cross 118, and began attempting those twiddly/turny/jumpy things. I soon found that Puffin isn't the only one to invent improbable (THAT photo) positions underneath the sail and water!

Having now become somewhat of an authority (ACTUAL experience - RIGHT) on such mishaps, I now feel fully entitled to offer him (Puffin) some advice. ( Wink )

I can only give him 9 out of 10 for artistic expression in that particular instance. His feet were a few degrees from perfect alignment, and a ring of little air bubbles on the surface of the water was completely lacking from above the position his head should have been. (He would have been cursing and spluttering underwater, right?)

I can only suggest he shows a little more diligence in future, and masters these small details, before daring to presume to offer advice to others. There's too much of that going on around here! ( Laughing Laughing Laughing )
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

I can only suggest he shows a little more diligence in future, and masters these small details, before daring to presume to offer advice to others. There's too much of that going on around here! ( Laughing Laughing Laughing )

I shall get on it immediately. Thank you for the coaching and encouragement. I got stuffed big time yesterday (sailing a 99 liter Skate with a 5.3) in a carve 360 attempt gone horribly wrong, but alas no camera was there to document the ignominy.

Puffin Style.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.04 KB
 Viewed:  12275 Time(s)

Puffin Style.jpg

loonie2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. When I first saw this question, my first reaction was "why get a board designed for freestyle if you don't plan to use it for its intended purpose. There are many other options with a broader range of non freestyle use. As the owner of both a freestyle and "freestyle wave" board of similar size and after reading the discussion I do agree there is a free ride use to the freestyle boards. A couple of points (previously mentioned) is low chop is OK. There is a point that when the water is too rough that it's not fun yet the freestyle wave is fine. Also a big fin helps. When I used the freestyle stock fin (big by freestyle standards) the free ride feel was great. Smaller fins are good for flat water but less lift over chop. I suspect a free ride fin would only improve cruising over low chop and improve early planning. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: