myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rant
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willysp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Rant Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I wasn't sure about posting this thread and that is why I wait for several weeks to post it.
Two weeks before windfest (June 29th) I called windance and bought an used board. Before I closed the deal, I asked the guy over the phone if they would buy my used board and he told me they don't buy used boards but I could leave it for consignment if the board wasn't beat up or too old. I told him my board was a 130l year 2004 and it was in good shape so he told me it shouldn't be a problem.
I went to hood river for the windfest and I stopped by the store to pick up my new board and drop off my used one. When I showed my board to one of the guys, he told me the person in charge needed to take a look at it. I can't remember his name (he might be on his mid fifties); he told me they don't take boards that old. I told him that I was told over the phone that a 130 l board year 2004 shouldn't be a problem and he said that that wasn't right, that the person who told me that was misinformed. I told him I bought the board because I was told that windance would take mine for consignment and that I wouldn't buy the new board if I knew they didn't take mine for consignment and he replied again they couldn't take it.
Then he told me about CGWA and that he could take my board to them. He gave me a paper and told me to put the amount of money I wanted and told me he would drop it off by the CGWA trailer that was at the event site. I thought CGWA would take my board for consignment but no. Later that day, I was talking with a person from CGWA and he told me they take donations, that the paper the person from windance gave me was to deduct taxes and that the board was donated... I ended up finding my board laying by the CGWA trailer as he told me, but what he didn't tell me is that the trailer was parked by the event site with no security and anybody could take the board so I took it and left it in the event site (along a bunch of gear that was checked by a security guard).
Maybe I'm wrong, but that is not the way store should treat costumers. They shouldn't tell whatever they think to a customer for the sake of a sale. Or at least that is not the way I do business. I bought few things from them last year but I'm not coming back to their store.
Willy

Last edited by willysp on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26774&sid=cde03d57a4415b696c78b17bc3dfd414

I am sorry that you have had problems. I don't work for Windance. There are 2 sides to every controversy.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have been a customer of Windance for over 15 years. I have purchased boards and have probably sold over 8 boards there. I have never had an issue with the shop. And yes Windance doesn't take boards that are 9 years old on consignment so I'm not sure how you got that info.

Dave, the owner, is a great guy and probably the "50's" guy you spoke with. But really a 9 year old board on consignment would probably bring $300 max IF you were lucky minus their commission (most likely not even that). You would be better off selling it at the swap meet or online here.

And no, CGWA doesn't do consignment but donations. Probably an indication of the value of the board.

Sorry you had a bad experience but it sounds like you had a communication problem from the start.
willysp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, John that the problem was communication but if an employee tells me something that is inaccurate and that creates a problem for me, I expect some kind of solution. I was also told I could sell the board on the swap meet but if I couldn't sell it, I would need to "donate" to CGWA because I couldn't take it back home and tha wasn't a solution for me. Again, I bought few items from them but the last one left a sour taste in my mouth.
willysp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say that the board I bought was in the condition they said and I'm really happy with her!
Willy
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate your problem but to give you some insight I just purchased a BRAND new (2010 overstock) Starboard for $750. So what do you think the true (not what you want but what others would buy IN Hood River since it would be too expensive to ship) value of your board is? $150 or $100?? There are a LOT of boards out there in new or like new condition for $500 to $800. So your board really had no value for windance to sell and it would have just sat there till they had to donate it.

I can appreciate that cause my 2008 fanatic Freewave that I will sell soon is similar cause it is too old to put on consignment, but at least it is a popular size for the Gorge....
willysp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up selling the board for 160 dollars to the first person who wanted to buy it (I didn't mention I sold it with a bag). This is not about money, it's just about attitude.
I don't want to create a big deal of this, it is just a rant. I was expecting a little bit of help from them. That's it. I guess this is related with the back pain I'm having for the last two weeks that doesn't allow me to sail haha.
Willy
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread sends a telling message about the stuff we buy. After buying a board and having it for just a few years, it's ultimately worth almost nothing. I guess if the board is well used, it's no big deal, but it's a bit sad that the value of a good older board with a few miles on it literally vaporizes. Buy a dud board that nobody wants, and you can't give it away after a year or two. When you think about it, it's a chilling picture.
mike_a_s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you think about it, it's a chilling picture.

Really? And u wonder why the industry is dead?!?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two posts are so pessimistic, one might think you guys will go over to kitesurfing soon. IT WAS A RANT!

Willy sold a 9 years old 130 l board in the Gorge for $160 to the first buyer. That's probably about 15% of its original price. That's not bad at a place where the demand for 130 l boards must be rather low. I bet he could easily have sold it for twice as much here in the northeast. I just sold a 2004 or 2005 board for $250. That was priced for a quick sale, and a volume that is in low demand here. I never had problems selling used boards for reasonable prices quickly. Boards from the 1980s and 90s that are in high demand, like Fanatic Cats or Division 2 boards , can sell for $500 or more, if you are lucky enough to get one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: