myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Contact lenses and the Columbia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Contact lenses and the Columbia Reply with quote

My prescription sunglasses are about worn out. I am wondering about wearing contact lenses in the Columbia, and whether folks are doing that. I haven't worn contacts in 20 years, so it is an adjustment. Thanks.
katosandog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: contact lenses in the columbia Reply with quote

I wear them all the time - only trouble is when I take a face washing it can take a while for vision to clear.
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems wearing soft contacts in the Columbia. I wear them every time I sail, along with Edge safety sunglasses to protect the eyes from spray. They are inexpensive and literally bullet proof. One can purchase these at Tum-A-Lum Lumber next to Windance, or online.

http://edgeeyewear.com/site_us/glasses.php

KMF
gronquist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and give your friendly eye doctor a call. ...Personally I have not seen a corneal ulcer in any patient, from all walks of life, when they are diligent about not sleeping in their contacts overnight (and of course they also practice other good hygiene habits with contacts). I have unfortunately treated, however, plenty of sight threatening corneal ulcers from contact lens non-compliance, the most glaring of which is neglecting to remove and clean your contact lenses every night..But still, please just call your personal, friendly eye doctor and I'm sure they'd give their professional recommendation as well.
-respectfully, a fellow wind addicted eyedoc.

fyi: pseudomonas aeruginosa (relatively common bacterial sp.) is well documented to cause complete corneal PERFORATION in 24h in severe cases. hence: remove them lenses every night and clean them as directed!

ultimately the safest modality would be a one day disposable lens. ask your doc if that's an option for you.

cheers!
loosescrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been sailing with contact lenses for 20 years with no problems. Lost a couple here and there where they dried up and blew out of my eyes but that was a rare occurrence. The only problem I have is when I'm sailing in the ocean waves and get taken down and not being able to open my eyes up under water which could be a problem but so far so good. I also like to wear sunglasses for the protection which works well for me too.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my experience:

I wore contact lenses for most of 42 years of sailboat racing and now 7 or so years of windsurfing. never a problem. also use them for swimming (with goggles)

one question I have is this: (I started with a bit of backgroud, if you want to skip straight to the question skip down to the bottom of my post) I always sail in salt water and don't have a problem with opening my eyes under water even when swimming in salt water without goggles.

however, there have been a few times when I've been swimming in fresh water (lake or pool) when my goggles leaked a bit and the fresh water came in contact with my eyes. in just about all of these cases, the contacts swelled up and popped out.

I've ascribed this to the fact that eye fluid is a saline solution (hence, saline solution for rinsing contacts) and when in contact with fresh water, the fresh water gets absorbed as the fluids are trying to equalize in salinity. (diffusion or osmosis, I forget which). so, when in contact with fresh water, contacts swell. this doesn't happen in salt water.

so, I am a bit surprised to find that one can open one's eyes under water in the Columbia River without one's contacts swelling.

(question) so, is the Columbia brackish?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaah ... just radioactive and laden with pollen.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
I have no problems wearing soft contacts in the Columbia. I wear them every time I sail, along with Edge safety sunglasses to protect the eyes from spray.

Which is less hassle and risk ... contacts + shades or just prescription shades? I've worn the latter for decades, and the biggest problem is rapid grime buildup on the lens.
webby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use disposable contacts. I throw out the lenses after every session. No risk of contamination this way and daily wear contacts are not expensive.

Lake/River sailing - I sometimes have problems with fresh water hitting my eyes causing the contacts to start to flake off. I stop and get the tear ducts going to re-lubricate. Never lost one.

Ocean sailing - In Sea water, no problem at all with water in the eye due to the salt content.

I've never had a reason to open my eyes under water. I rarely sail ocean and waves.

Regardless of what anyone says, consult your doctor. Find one with patients in the same situation as you - active water athlete.
crashpile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Contacts Reply with quote

I have a strong correction (I can't see much of anything) and prescription polarized glasses are hard to find. I am considering the daily disposable contacts and cheaper non-prescription sunglasses, but would prefer not to have anything in my eyes. I will call the eye doctor and see what he says.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: