myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any tips to speed up waterstart set-up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions here. Also, For waterstart technique (and flying the sail), I highly recommend the "The ABCs of Waterstarting with Dasher DVD", watch it before sessions. It will just drill into your head how important the angle of the mast vs wind is important prior to lifting the sail. Good angle = effortless lift.
And practice flying the sail while in the water, i.e don't waterstart as soon as you can (since that's a step you can accomplish easily). Ideally you want to build those reflexes that will let you ensure you don't get dunked because you let the wind go over the sail rather that stay under to float it for you. Try to maintain waterstart position for a minute or two, one/two/no feet on board, clew first or not, still or getting dragged slowly, etc. i.e. forget waterstarting as an immediate goal and concentrate on dicking around in the water under your sail until you're comfortable. Good luck!
larrye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips (although i'm having some trouble visualizing isobar's rotation method). And yes johnl I can steer the board as you describe from a standing position. I can sometimes do a clew first from a beach start in light wind. No way could I do it from a waterstart in real wind. It did seem like the Frenzy guys were generally working from the mast tip, positioning, then clearing the sail with one good jerk. Maybe I'm just not working fast enough and need more patience, practice and energy in varied conditions.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larrye wrote:
It did seem like the Frenzy guys were generally working from the mast tip, positioning, then clearing the sail with one good jerk.

Yes, it can be pretty amazing to watch how fast really good sailors get the sail out of the water. I think one thing is that the sail should be on top of the water to start (not water on top of the sail). That makes the lift & jerk easy. If you keep that in mind when falling, it is often possible to keep the sail further up, and get started again earlier. Especially in slower falls, it is often possible to keep the sail up if your body goes down quicker or deeper.

johnl wrote:
Think which is the EASIEST way to do something

That's always very important, but especially for the water start. Dasher's DVD gives a number of good pointers in this direction (having the sail on top of the water is one of them).
Sometimes, chop and wind can make it very hard to orient everything from the mast tip. One example is when you want to turn the nose of the board downwind to get the mast oriented right, and the bottom of the sail is hitting the front of the board. Sometimes, the chop will try to push the nose towards you, while you want the opposite to happen. In that case, the easiest thing to do can be to let go of the rig, grab the board, and turn the board around until the mast is pointing where you want it. May take a bit longer, but can save a lot of energy.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I don't always go to the tip, but pretty close. VERY easy to pop the sail into the wind this way. And I haven't had a board that I can sit the boom on the end in a long time.

On the other hand think outside the box. Think which is the EASIEST way to do something. Anytime you are fighting the current or the wind you will loose.

I not only don't fight the wind, but I put it (and Archimedes) to work for me, largely because at my height, my boom rests on any board tail while I let aerodynamics and bouyancy do all the lifting. The primary deciding factor is probably whether one's personal ergonomics puts the boom on or beyond the tail. Current is not a factor unless we're standing on the bottom or caught in a net.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larrye wrote:
i'm having some trouble visualizing isobar's rotation method.

Throw an innertube onto the water. Get in it up to your armpits. Spin your straight legs & feet in a huge horizontal circle just beneath the surface. You can crank that baby up to something like 50-60 RPM until you puke.

Do the same thing with one hand on your board and one on your sail in deep water. A few rotations and everything's turned around, but slowly enough that you won't puke. Makes swimming your gear around obsolete (unless you just WANT to work harder for the exercise, or possibly in some urgent situations).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or chew broken glass

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Have you tried my rotation approach? It worked for me with bigger boards than a Kona One.

Yes, it works in lesser wind. It works too in higher wind (more than 20 kts) but I was usually unable to lift my sail before the board would move downwind quickly while turning the mast. Much less effort in that specific case to start at the mast tip. It's the only case I find that method to be nicer.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're trying to move board and sail separately rather than as a unit, and/or cannot rest your boom on the tail. I'm not lifting my sail at all; the tail of the board does all the lifting while my attention and efforts are focused on maintaining orientation. Part of it is practice, part is not being in urgent situations such a surf or competition, and part is focusing on energy conservation.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of my boards, will not rest the boom on the tail, with the boom high enough.

the video suggestions are noteworthy as, its a difficult concept to write down, what works best and when

I think time on the water, or in cold water will expedite things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: