myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
"Super hydrophobic" coating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: "Super hydrophobic" coating. Reply with quote

Somebody buy a few cans of this and coat the bottom of their board with it, then report back, please.

http://junkee.com/someone-invented-magic-and-it-is-freaking-us-out/14880

*And yes, this actually appears to be a real, legitimate product, and not a hoax!

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
thombiz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think...spray your sails with it and they don't absorb water, making them always super light. How about sunglasses so they never waterspot! I want to try some! I wonder how well it holds up and how long it lasts!

Update: I just did a Google search on the stuff and read some reviews. It does seem to work, but......it is very easily broken down by UV and it leaves a whiteish haze tint where it is applied. It might be worth spraying on the inside of your windsurf vehicle to repell the water dripping from sails, etc. after a session, especially the salt water that eats out the floorboards.
For what it's worth, I've found spray in bedliner to work very well to protect floorboards from the corrosive effects of saltwater, however, for places like the inside of your tailgate on your pickup, where you set to relax after a session and drip saltwater, I prefer and trust Transtar Amber Rustproofing.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a middle east perspective, it might reduce the amount of water on the sail, making it easier to uphaul and handle.

I can't wait to try it. For an absolut geek like me, it seems like an heavenly summer.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:
From a middle east perspective, it might reduce the amount of water on the sail, making it easier to uphaul and handle.

I can't wait to try it. For an absolut geek like me, it seems like an heavenly summer.

Be prepared for anything you spray on a sail to damage the sail. Chemicals in the propellant can wreck all sorts of materials and adhesives. If you're concerned about sail weight, reconsider your plan to add hardware to your clew!

Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who wants to experiment, the stuff is available at Home Depot - under a Rustoleum brand name. Can't recall the price - maybe ~$16? I was in a hurry and saw it on an end cap.
Brian
www.miwindsurfing.com
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Removing the water suction effect when uphauling Reply with quote

Hi girls !

I think the benefit of the coating is that it will eliminate the 'suction effect' that you experience when you uphaul which makes the sail heavier than it actually is. When you uphaul, the sail feels like it is 'glued' to the water, as with any flat surface in contact with water.

However, the spray may not be lighter than the water droplets than remain on the sail when you windsurf (it depends on what quantity was sprayed). So weightwise, the benefit may be nil while cruising.

Anyway, this is a much better innovation than the shoe pad I put between the boom and the mast to prevent it from slipping. I ended up being 4 mm shorter but, at least, I saved a windsurfing session.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't anybody else think of car wax? Water beads up & rolls off, right? That's what "Hydrophobic" means. Some brands have a UV inhibitor, right? I waxed the bottom of my speedsailing board once, and it felt faster, but that's hardly scientific, and could very well have been a placebo effect of sorts.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Just released Reply with quote

Just released

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adma.201304006/abstract
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

want to make your board faster? try this on the bottom:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/factsheets/Riblets.html

(old tech)
benspikey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm.. riblets..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: