myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Sail Recommendation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY/SELL: Search for "Aerotech" in Sails
lunchbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boardsurfr and bugglebuddy! Funny, after I had posted my question asking if my mast would work on the Pilot 6.5, I received an email from the company I was thinking about buying the sail from...their response, " it should be fine -that sail works nicely on either a 460 or 430"....hmmm....don't think I believe that anymore...wonder if they even read my question!

Maybe I'll try to save some more money and along with a sail, I'll look into getting a new boom.

@dennis_c - I remember is quite a few Aerotech sails on ebay...are they a good brand?
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchbox,

The 2013 Gaastra Pilot 6.5 has an adjustable head and will work on both 430 or 460. Previous year Pilots came with fixed heads and only worked with a 430.

Coachg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunchbox wrote:

Maybe I'll try to save some more money and along with a sail, I'll look into getting a new boom.

Maybe you should do that. You allready have an old cammed 6.5 or so. Your new sail will likely be less powerfull. And since you are not sailing in a good wind area, you will not plane with that sail.

For non-planing, you are better off with a soft sail. You could buy a UL Superfreak, or find a free battenless sail. Mine (and my cousin's) are 30 yol and the work better in low wind than my Ezzy's or Kona. Granted, it maybe a tad slower but it is so much easier to handle, there is no contest.

Once your confortable with your current sails, you'll either want to move to windier areas or to much larger sails.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with Aerotechs. Make sure you have a long enough extension, or maybe seller has one for you.
lunchbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks coachg - Yeah, the Pilot I was looking at was a 2011 so no go with my mast.

@dennis - Thanks for the info on the Aerotechs.

@sailboarder - I'll check out the Superfreaks...Thanks. Could save the money and just work with my current 6.4 cam but it's such a pain in the a$$ to rig and heavy too...messed up my back last Friday rigging it up and carrying it!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to remove the cams from your current sail, underpowered like that it wouldn't make much difference IMO.
Sailboarder don't those old battenless sails take a huge boom?
You should be able to find a used Ezzy 6.3, 6.7 or 6.9 somewhere as they are amazingly common and they are very rugged.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchbox: You're not supposed to hurt your back while rigging. Is it because of downhaul? If so, it's possible you are not threading the rope correctly in the pulleys. This causes extra friction. Otherwise, you can also use aa hook and pulley on the sail, use spectran rope (it's slippery and very solid) or buy a downhaul winch from Chinook.

Beaglebuddy: You are right, old sails can have long boom lenght. Mine has about 220,, so not a problem. You can use a boom fully extended in that case since the loads are quite low. At the cottage, I still use the original boom. It is very light, maybe half a modern one and flexible. Unsuitable for modern use. Still, it's king in low wind. It's about 250 cm with 50 cm extensions that will never be used!
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunchbox,

Regarding windsurfing spots for beginners and intermediates, I would recommend considering Lopez Lake. It is located about 10 miles east of Arroyo Grande, and it would offer a bit better winds that are much more consistent. Also, there is good camping there for the family, and it would be great for a weekend trip that would make the extra drive time worthwhile.

For used sail opportunities, you might want to look into Windance Windsurfing in Hood River, Oregon. Although they don't have a big selection of larger used sails, there are some well worth considering at attractive prices. Also, they should be able to set you up with a new Chinook aluminum boom at a good price.

http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Windsurf-Sails/?page=4
lunchbox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sailboarder - My back starting feeling a little weird when I was working on getting the mast into the sail...not the actual downhaul part. I think the way I carried it to had something to do with it. I have a pretty bad back to begin with but this was the first time it happened setting up the sail. I think I might wear a weight belt next time to be safe or just set up really close to the water.

@swchandler - My family and I actually camped at Lopez a few years ago...this was before I tried windsurfing. I had actually brought some of my land kites up there to see if I could do a little landboarding. I remember thinking that the windsurfers had a pretty good set up going on. Wind was blowing pretty good and seemed very consistent from what I can remember. There were two kitesurfers there who tried to do a stealth session but the rangers were on the scene in less than 5 minutes. If only I lived closer! I might try Mother's beach...looks small though?
Thanks for the information re: Windance. My family and I are actually doing a road up from L.A. up through Portland and then on to Seattle. I asked my wife if we can stop in at Hood River while we were there and she said yes, so I was planning on checking out the area. I was gonna stop in at Big Winds as I have done business with them in the past!

I'm not having much luck looking in Craigslist or Ebay and right now I'm leaning towards a used Naish Rally or Sailworks Retro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: