myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any tips to speed up waterstart set-up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo everything everyone else has said so far, with one addition. Most people's boom is beyond the tail of the board. so, one thing that I have found to help get sail above water is to use Archimedes' principle (as iso said) and use the board to lift the sail up above the water surface. I get the sail in a position where it is resting on the footstraps. this uses the buoyant force on the board and a bit of height from the footstraps to lift the sail body clear of the water.

also, the original post mentioned something about not always completing waterstarts when in correct position. couple tips to increase percentage of waterstarts made (from ABK): keep arms straight (let sail pull you up instead of you pulling up to sail), and tuck your head "underneath" armpit. Head down, look down, not out, reduces torque needed from sail force to lift you up. also, if you drag one leg you can use buoyant force again to lessen sail force need to pull you up. you should feel like you are being lifted straight out of water, not across water. these tips will increase percentage of completed waterstarts in minimal wind.

above all, TOW! or in this case, TIW, perhaps.

have fun!!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, do not lower your boom so that it rests on the board tail if it does not already do so. You will be compromising your basic sailing geometry. For most people sailing on equipment made since 2000 the boom will be too high on the mast (if the sail is rigged properly.)
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
I get the sail in a position where it is resting on the footstraps. this uses the buoyant force on the board and a bit of height from the footstraps to lift the sail body clear of the water.

The few times I've tried sailing with my booms so high they cleared the tail of the board, I extended the tail with my aft forearm, rested the boom on my forearm, and still let Archimedes do the lifting.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
whitevan01 wrote:
I get the sail in a position where it is resting on the footstraps. this uses the buoyant force on the board and a bit of height from the footstraps to lift the sail body clear of the water.

The few times I've tried sailing with my booms so high they cleared the tail of the board, I extended the tail with my aft forearm, rested the boom on my forearm, and still let Archimedes do the lifting.

the arm thing is what I do most of the time, occasionally I fly the sail by going towards the mast tip

when falling in, if in the correct position, I will make a huge effort to fly the sail, then you can go straight away

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add that a light rig will help you greatly. So if you can afford it spring for a nice carbon mast spec'd correctly for your sail. And if yuo can really afford it go for the carbon boom. A nice light weight rig will make learning everything easier.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this video of waterstarting in light wind conditions:https://vimeo.com/25033323
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the up-haul line very useful to reposition the board (tugging the nose of the board back toward the wind). I go out with the up-haul on the rig in all wind conditions, not just when you might want to use it to up-haul the sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: