myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
COYOTE PT lost for the summer!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boardsports web cam is a great place to see the progress on the new construction. Thanks to all who resolved the access issues. Happy sailing. Gman Cool

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.52 KB
 Viewed:  9379 Time(s)

image.jpg

gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know if they are planning to dump a few tons of sand to recreate the beach that used to exist in the 80's? They do the same every thing 10 years or so at Cabrillo beach in LA.

Us old guys can still remember when there was no rip rap to negotiate to get to the sand at Coyote. You just stepped from the bike path onto the beach and walked into the water - Nice! It was all taken out by one very strong high tide, high wind event around 1988 or 1989. I showed up to sail what was left of the night's relentless winds the next morning only to find a three foot drop-off from the bike path to the beach. All that sand was swept away in one night! Anyone remember that?

I left the area from 1990 and wasn't back until 1995. A berm was built during that time, but it too has fallen into disrepair, necessitating the sand bags and now, hopefully, a new sand beach?!
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Coyote Point shoreline repair Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Anybody know if they are planning to dump a few tons of sand

Hi Gerritt, you can find it here. One of the items shows as 50 CY, cubic yards? of Imported Sand, that could be it, it's not much, but it's better then nothing. Over 10,000 TONS of rocks will be used to reinforce the shoreline with 3 sloping launch ramps made from cement blocks. It's a right time to ask NOW for a spigot with piece of garden hose for rinsing, even if it would be timer valve operated for 3 minutes for 25 cents.
Also we should ask for installing 30 ft mast with orange color wind-sack like at small airports, FOR SAFETY. Use word "FOR SAFETY" and we can get it. That's what I did at Oyster Point in 1998 and I got it!
A few palm trees would be nice too, but they aren't native, we can only get poison oak, no problem...
One tree is marked for removal, we should prevent that. If I climb and live for weeks or months on that tree, will you bring me pizza and beer every day?
link to Coyote project document
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/publicworks/DepartmentArticles/Projects%20Out%20to%20Bid/CP%20Promenade%20NC.pdf

Coyote_Point_repair_project.JPG
 Description:
how many truck loads is 12,000 TONS of rocks?
 Filesize:  82.68 KB
 Viewed:  9248 Time(s)

Coyote_Point_repair_project.JPG

Coyote_Point_repair_proj.JPG
 Description:
50 CY (cubic yards?) Imported Sand
 Filesize:  85.76 KB

Coyote_Point_repair_proj.JPG

surf_5.jpg
 Description:
Deven testing new ramp
 Filesize:  133.38 KB

surf_5.jpg

surf_3.jpg
 Description:
these sandals were found in 2012 at Coyote launch, owner still missing... should we call Coast Guard?
 Filesize:  199.41 KB

surf_3.jpg

coyoteandre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Coyote Point shoreline repair Reply with quote

jse wrote:
Coyoteandre, my thoughts exactly Smile

Hey "jse"... since we think alike...
I just sent this email to the top Civil Engineer of this project, let me know if we need anything more. If we don't ask, we don't get. Several photos attached took about 1 MB total and email was rejected, finally I sent just two pictures 250 KB total and that was OK.

"I am sending you photos and I get this message:
"The message that you sent was undeliverable to the following:
cchoi@smcgov.org (Message exceeds maximum allowed size)"

What is the maximum allowed size that your mail accepts?

Dear Mr. Choi,
I enjoyed our conversation yesterday about your Coyote Point shoreline construction project.
I am sending a few photos of the launch ramp built for windsurfers at Oyster Point around 1998-99. The ramp is about 16 ft wide which should be a minimum width when rails have to be installed if there are steps.
The lowest section of the ramp gets very slippery because algae growth and surface has an angle. It would help greatly if the lowest part would have 2-4 wide and flat steps with grooved surface.
I am including photos showing how windsurfers get in and out of water at Coyote Point and at Embassy hotel (a mile north of Coyote).
A 30 ft mast with a wind-sack would help too, because from far away we could see wind conditions close to shore. That would be good for SAFETY for all windsurfers.
Above all, windsurfers at Coyote Point would love to have a spigot with a piece o garden hose located near the ramps to rinse themselves from salt water, even if it costs 25 cents for 3 minutes, operated by automatic timer valve, almost like extra sprinklers . What would it take to have it installed before paving is done, maybe it is still time to make a decision to install it?
I've seen one like that installed on parking lot near boat ramps at Coyote. Let's think about it. This would be big improvement.
I windsurf the last 23 years at Coyote Point, Oyster Point and many other places all over Bay Area.
Thank you for doing shoreline improvements and for doing great job!
Any improvement will be greatly appreciated by all windsurfers.
Best Regards"
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sentence Fragments

A fragment is a sentence which is not complete, and therefore not grammatically correct. Sentence fragments are problematic because they are disjointed and confusing to the reader. There are three main causes of fragments: (a) a missing subject; (b) a missing verb; (c) "danger" words which are not finished.

There are three ways to check for sentence completeness:

1. Find the subject. A subject is the noun or pronoun about which something is written. To find the subject of a sentence, identify who or what is doing the action. If there is no subject, the sentence is a fragment. Consider the two examples below.

"The student felt nervous before the speech."
"Thought about leaving the room."

The first sentence above is complete, because it contains both a subject and a verb. The subject of this sentence is the student. The sentence contains a subject which answers the question, "who or what felt nervous?" The second sentence is a fragment, because there is no identifiable subject. The sentence does not contain a subject which answers the question, "who or what thought about leaving?" To correct the second sentence, one could write: "He thought about leaving the room." Alternatively, on e could combine the two sentences to form one complete sentence: "The student felt nervous before the speech, and thought about leaving the room."

2. Find the verb. A verb is the action word in a sentence. Verbs express action, existence or occurrence. To find the verb in a sentence, identify what happened. If there is no identifiable action, the sentence is a fragment. Consider the two examples below.

"Many scientists, such as Einstein, think in strange ways."

"Many scientists think in strange ways. Einstein, for example."
This first example above has one complete sentence followed by a fragment. "Einstein, for example" is a fragment because there is no verb. "Einstein" serves as the subject (he is the one doing something), but the rest of the sentence does not express wh at action he is taking. The second example is a complete sentence. In this case, the sentence contains both a subject (scientists) and a verb (think). Alternatively, one could write the following: "Many scientists think in strange ways. Einstein, for example, could not tolerate more than one bar of soap in his home." In this case, there are two complete sentences. In the second sentence, the subject is Einstein and the verb is "could not tolerate."

3. Check for "danger" words. A danger word is one which introduces a thought that requires a follow-up phrase. Such words are sometimes called "cliff-hangers" because they begin a statement, but leave it "hanging" without a finish. Consider the phrases below.

"If you come home..."
"When the rain falls..."
"Because he is mean..."
The danger words in the sentences above are "if," "when" and "because." When these words are used at the beginning of a phrase, they require a follow-up phrase to conclude the thought.

Example: If you come home on time...then what?
Correct: If you come home on time, I will buy you a present.

Example: When it rains...what happens?
Correct: When it rains, the gutters become clogged.

Example: Because he is mean...what is the result?
Correct: Because he is mean, I will not take a class from him.

Danger words are helpful when writing sentences, but one must be sure to include a concluding phrase when these words are used.

Commonly used danger words include: after, unless, although, how, as if, when, because, where, before, while, if, until, once, so that, since, whether.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: