myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fish Tail Open Ocean?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Fish Tail Open Ocean? Reply with quote

There's a fish tail OO in the Wind Dance consignment. It's in great shape, and I'm tempted, but it's got glassed in thrusters (not my 1st choice),
and I don't know anything about why you'd want a fish tail on a board.
Other than that, the thing looks like a standard late model (2007) OO
in 8'4" length with double concave all the way though length, and maybe some slight chines on the edges.

What's a fish tail good for?

-Craig
PennyB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from the design it is a 2012 and likely had the glassed thrusters and fish tail done on request. Have Windance see who it was made for from the signature on the bottom and then give Brian a call and ask him! I think he remembers every board he ever made. I love my OO boards but don't know anything about why you might want a fish tail.

Penny
PennyB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from the design it is a 2012 and likely had the glassed thrusters and fish tail done on request. Have Windance see who it was made for from the signature on the bottom and then give Brian a call and ask him! I think he remembers every board he ever made. I love my OO boards but don't know anything about why you might want a fish tail.

Penny
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Model. If you look close it actually spells 2012 in the graphics.
swchandler has a fish tail with glassed on fins but it's much older. If I wasn't worried about fin breakage/replacement I would want glassed on fins for my 2 little OO's. The big one, I'm running as a single.
This board looks a little narrower in the tail to me. Brian doesn't typically do that. You may want to call him and ask him about it. I'm sure he'll remember.

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting home and looking at my boards, my 2 small ones do look a little narrower in the tail with the bigger one being a bit more hippie.

All you Open Ocean riders please send me your photos and OO stories! I'm going to do an update next month and I want to get you and your board on the website! Go to the Gallery section and click on the email link from there. NOT the link on the home page although that will work. Brian just has to send them to me. Lets let him worry about building boards!
Or email me here.
openoceanusa1@gmail.com
Thanks
Ron

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googling tail shapes reveals a lot about each shape, including swallowtails. I concur completely with those sites based on my own swallow and squash tailed boards. I love the extra snap, grip, and tracking they provide in hard, very fast, very tight turns in rough water.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one but it got sold shortly after. It was made for a big guy but sailed like any OO.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Googling tail shapes reveals a lot about each shape, including swallowtails. I concur completely with those sites based on my own swallow and squash tailed boards. I love the extra snap, grip, and tracking they provide in hard, very fast, very tight turns in rough water.

Iso, Tell us more! How hard, how tight, and how fast? Wow! You are so amazing!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

The OO you're talking about has what is termed a swallow tail. I have two, a 2002 7'10" and a 2008 8'2". The 7'10" board also has small glassed-on thrusters. I really liked the way the board turned and jibed, so I ordered the swallow tail option on the 8'2". I still have a 1996 8'2" with the normal rounded pintail with glassed-on fins, and I had a 2002 8'2" with the same rounded pintail with the mini-finbox thrusters. In contrast to the bottom design of the board at Windance, all of my OOs had Brian's 3 facet bottom features forward under the mast track. In all honesty, I couldn't tell the difference between the different tailed 8'2"s. They all sailed the same. In the end, I've come to the conclusion that the rockerline of the 7'10" is more turnable and wavey in nature, and its qualities have little to do with the swallow tail feature. That's not to say that the 8'2"s aren't great boards with tons of maneuverability.

If I were you, I'd buy the OO at Windance. It looks to be in good shape and the price appears right. The only word of caution that I would offer would be about it weight. Because it's a polyrite board (a polyurethane blank finished with polyester resin), it will weight more than the average EPS/epoxy production board. But if it weighs in excess of 18 1/2 pounds it will be a bit slower to plane off. That's the problem with my 2008 board. However, if the wind is howling, the extra weight isn't a problem.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd chime in here. I'm good with polyrite,
in fact, that's my preference!

We'll have a closer look when I get back if it's still there.

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
Craig,

The only word of caution that I would offer would be about it weight. Because it's a polyrite board (a polyurethane blank finished with polyester resin), it will weight more than the average EPS/epoxy production board. But if it weighs in excess of 18 1/2 pounds it will be a bit slower to plane off. That's the problem with my 2008 board. However, if the wind is howling, the extra weight isn't a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: