myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona One with an Aerotech Zenith and an RDM mast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I used your Select 39 cm Edge Freeslam I'd bought from you/Erika along with a bunch of other fins. Remember Dmitry? Too bad your Atans didn't come in my size; I'd need them pretty soon here in MN.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Zenith the predecessor to the Kona sail? My Kona sail needs very little downhaul in light to moderate winds.

This is from the Kona site.

http://www.konaone.com/Page/723/tuning-/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Sailboarder: "No downhaul" is for...NEVER. Not a single sail designer or company recommends no downhaul for any conditions, ever. Some sails will work with SLIGHTLY LESS downhaul, but you adjust your power settings with outhaul, not downhaul. Insufficient downhaul will make your sail handle poorly by pulling from the top instead of down low, the way it was designed, and some less-informed sailors will mistake this tugging for more power, but you should always downhaul to factory specs then use the outhaul to fine-tune the way it feels.

In fact, this is not true at all for that sail. Factory specs are to downhaul very lightly for very light wind. No loose leach. With more wind, you downhaul more, you get a loose leach that you tighten with outhaul. This way you get an even twist. With too much downhaul, that sail gets a weird twist that is stronger in the middle of the sail. This is not good. The bottom battens also require a lot (as in looks too much) tension.

The Kona/Zenith sail is quite light and tunable, for use in non-planing to over 20 kts. It is not super stable however, and obviously doesn't dampen gusts as well as other sails.

I also have other sails that are a mess to use with that little downhaul. I agree that normal sails require surprisingly high tension to perform correctly.

P.S. The pictures in previous link shows it all
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed you must tune each sail to the way the designer wants them tuned or they are a mess to handle! Also matching mast bend and stiffness too sail is just as important. Adding an Adjustable outhaul systems on big sails are a plus if you sail where the wind is kind of gusty or you want to increase the range of the sail on the fly. A bit of caution be careful not to over down haul a sail, you can damage the sail by over stretching the fabric, stitching, and all those nice laminated panels. Ezzy sails, all have warning not to over tension DH pasts the high wind luff markers! If it's that windy change to a smaller sail! Cheers Have fun and pray for Wind! Mike
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardhead1 wrote:
Agreed you must tune each sail to the way the designer wants them tuned or they are a mess to handle! Also matching mast bend and stiffness too sail is just as important. Adding an Adjustable outhaul systems on big sails are a plus if you sail where the wind is kind of gusty or you want to increase the range of the sail on the fly. A bit of caution be careful not to over down haul a sail, you can damage the sail by over stretching the fabric, stitching, and all those nice laminated panels. Ezzy sails, all have warning not to over tension DH pasts the high wind luff markers! If it's that windy change to a smaller sail! Cheers Have fun and pray for Wind! Mike

Mike,

I thought David Ezzy always said that the max downhaul indicator on his sails was minimum for him? (he loves downhaul!) I share that same viewpoint haha

-Kevin

Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin
I knew David Ezzy liked down haul! Hadn't heard that one before.
I like it! LOL! He designs and build some awesome sails. Cheers! Mike
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So many things on this thread!

Still frustrating to see folks on this forum handing out rigging advice without checking for an online rigging guide. It's great to see that, in this case, everyone ended up looking at the online guide.

Spennie, you may want to be a little careful about past rigging experience as a solid reference. Sail design philosophy changes. Old Pryde rigging experience may no longer be current. If you have access to Retro rigging guides through the years, you'll probably see changes.

And David Ezzy doesn't follow his own rigging guide? What would be the point? Doesn't he want his customers to be as satisfied as possible? If the sails were manufactured with the marks in the wrong place, or if he has learned something new, why doesn't he put an update online?
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember exactly what the conversation was like but in the email he sent to a local dealer here

He said the rigging guide is set for what would work for most people. He on the other hand would rather add much more downhaul. NOTE: I think this was in reference to the 2007 or 2008 Wave SE. Whichever one was the outhaul picky one.

-Kevin Very Happy

spennie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last posting to this thread, since I know someone will argue no matter what I say.

konajoe: I did check for a rigging guide, but there isn't one for the '07 sail he's talking about, just the 2010. I jus went back and looked at it anyway, and it warns about a "loss of top-end speed & control".

If you think it's a good idea to rig & sail a 7.4 with too little downhaul, you go right ahead.

KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good power/low end or more control/top speed Shocked Shocked

The decisions we have to make in windsurfing lol Confused Confused

Dmitry, have you tried rigging the sail with just enough downhaul to cause the leech to go slightly loose? Maybe 2 panels? See how that works, you may have to pump a little bit to get going compared to the low wind setting but I think the extra control might be something you like.

-Kevin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: