myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD Fire Storm 111
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the Hawk 110 you may really love the board depending on your skill level. The board was built for super cross so it is obviously fast and turns very well. At 170 lbs I can run the Hawk in slalom mode 6.0-7.3 with 4 strap set up or de-tune it for 5.5-5.0 three strap set up. It sails easily at Sherman strong ebb/20 Knts with 5.0 because of it's ability to turn.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 111 Firestorm ltd on the water today. All I can say is WOW!!!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN, So tell us a little about how it sails, jibes, top end, overall ride, stuff like that. What construction did you get?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops, I see you answered my last question.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. I have 31 years on the water and pretty much been there done that in windsurfing. I'm a bit older now and spend most of my water time at lake Lopez or SPI. Just a flat water guy these days. My last board was a Tabou Rocket 115 LTD. I can't say enough good things about that board. The last two days Up at Lopez it was 12 to 22 mph. I have friends that have the Rocket and friends that have the 110 Firemove. I was much faster than the Firemove and a bit faster than the Rocket off the wind. heading up wind ,I blew both boards away. I could get going as quick or quicker than the Firemove and about the same as the Rocket but the rocket was on a 6.0 Cheetah and I was on a 5.5 Cheetah. Same size guys. It was effortless to get this board going and I wasn't exactly powered up. This board skips across the chop and rides very smooth. Like the rocket. I sailed the 110 Firemove and it felt big and bulky. The Firestorm feels light and free once up to speed. For me the Firestorm turns way better than the the Firemove. A committed sheeted in turn would result in a bonce free and speed exit. Very much like the Rocket. The Firemove is just too wide and hard to get on the rail. It tends to bonce thru turns.. All in all I think the Firestorm is an excellent light wind machine. With the right sail it would give any board out there a good race. The only down side would be that at my weight (165 lbs.) 5.5 is as small as I would like to go on it. The 2014 is really a good looking board....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it out today in light and gusty wind. I was on a 6.5 and the stock fin.
This is the type of conditions I got it for and it worked really good. If you thinking about a board of this type, you must give the Firestorm a try. The 111 LTD is a blast. Tabou Rocket 115 a close second but not as good in this up and down wind.......
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ordered a Firestorm 111 LTD from second wind maui. one of their rental boards. can't wait to get it and sail it. sounds like it's a great board.

in my quiver, it will slot in between my 102 FSW and a 130 freerace board. I plan to use it mostly with 6.5 Ezzy infinity and sometimes with 7.5 Infinity when 130 becomes a handful

thanks for your report, NOVAAN.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love mine. I use it with an Ezzy Cheetah 6.5 down to a 5.5. I'm about 165 to 170lbs. There so many days when I'm the only one able to get going on my lake. You might find that you don't need your bigger board. It shoots up wind with speed and it turns really good....Happy sailing. Post a report after you sailed it a few times.....Tony
allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a Starboard Carve 111?
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I thought I had ordered a Firestorm 111. Turns out they sold it a couple of weeks ago but hadn't removed it from their website.
bummer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: