myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30--look at the acidification of oceans, due to CO2, with an open mind and tell me again about how wrong Danson was.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, you might read the article, and then comment. By the way, I wasn't suggesting that the seas would rise 216 feet by 2100. Again, read the article, as much of the information presented wasn't patently outlandish, and it also covers more current events that have actually happened. Believe it or not, in many places in the world folks have actually taken significant action to mitigate the affects rising seas and untoward weather events.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
NW30--look at the acidification of oceans, due to CO2, with an open mind and tell me again about how wrong Danson was.

You might have that perspective living on the SF bay, however, I've never seen the coastal waters of California and Hawaii look so nice. In particular I've been diving off Malibu where both the visibility and sea life has been spectacular.

The oceans naturally cleanse CO2 from our atmosphere. Maybe the amount of acid today is the norm?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Bard, I ran into a spearfisherman last Saturday at Leo that caught two really nice fish skindiving in the current forest of kelp seemingly overtaking the spot. Whatever is happening in our ocean environment, there is no doubt that the kelp is doing remarkably well.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update in rebuttal to the ad hominem attacks by mrgybe on the environmental record of the Port of Oakland. There is a difference between googling for something to attack and critical thinking. From the Port's newsletter:

Quote:
Partnering with truckers who haul cargo to and from the Port, the BAAQMD, California Air Resources Board, and the US Environmental Protection Agency, resulted in the retrofitting or replacement of 1,521 trucks reducing the diesel particulate emissions from each truck by at least 85%. Additionally, the Port also banned older, more polluting trucks from accessing its marine terminals.

And then, from while I was actually there:

Quote:
A good example of a port using a collaborative approach to improve its environmental impact, he says, is the Port of Oakland, which recently received the highest score in the Natural Resources Defense Council's (NRDC) environmental report card for the 10 largest U.S. ports

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/magazine/2004/04/ports.html

Ad hominem attacks are a way of life for some.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

I live at the beach, I look out at it everyday, mostly for whitecaps, but I always see the ocean wildlife, whether it be sea going birds, or whales, or elephant seals, (something that I'd like to see gone, but every year there are more and more of them, they breed like liberals).
It looks very much alive to me, almost too alive.
I hear about the dying oceans at the same time I have to go out windsurfing in the middle of the food chain, which increases every year due to the rapidly growing population of the elephant seals. Not to sound selfish, but the health of the ocean is screwing up our windsurfing, due to overpopulation of the seals, what they feed on, and what feeds on them.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hugs from mommy as a child?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThwTn2aA1LM
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
By the way Bard, I ran into a spearfisherman last Saturday at Leo that caught two really nice fish skindiving in the current forest of kelp seemingly overtaking the spot. Whatever is happening in our ocean environment, there is no doubt that the kelp is doing remarkably well.

Yes, a little too well in the kelp department I'd say. I've never wanted a weed fin until this summer. The explanation is that the ocean is colder down here this summer, so the kelp keeps growing. (up to half a foot per day) When the ocean temp goes above 60 the kelp dies off.

Was that you sailing at C street today SWC? Pretty nice day for me at C street...not my usual haunt.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I sailed C Street this afternoon. I was the sailor using a 5.75 Windwing. It was the same rig and board that I used at Leo on Saturday, except I was able to use my Tectonics Goldwing instead of a weedfin. C Street's lack of kelp and excess eelgrass is a pleasure.

Tem Gronquist said that you were sailing C Street earlier, but didn't see you when I went out. Actually, since Leo was going off, I was surprised to hear that you made the trek up to Ventura.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Ventura 1 day a week. It was pretty good early in the afternoon at C street. Might be good tomorrow also!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 219 of 573

Jump to: