myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Simple but brilliant tips and tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: If you do not know how to do it, do it Middle-East style Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:
Always carry your fully-rigged sail on you car roof top to save time but do not drive faster than 120 mph to avoid taking-off.

+1, please post a pic!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose suits are warmer, as they allow an air space between cold neoprene and warm skin. Of course, that doesn't work if a suit lets water flow through readily; the cuffs need to do their job if the water's chilly.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:
never sail too overpowered, you're not learning anything.

Sure you are. You're learning how to sail overpowered. Eventually, if you sail enough, you will end up getting nuked on your gear. You're better off knowing in advance how to bleed off power and keep the board stuck to the water rather than foundering in the water not able to at least nurse your gear in.

Plus, being able to sail overpowered is great if you don't feel like rigging down. Crank on some more downhaul, and outhaul and keep sailing. The more you sail overpowered, the more your definition of "overpowered" will change and your skill set will increase. Not saying that you should go out on a ten meter everytime it's blowing 30, but pushing your comfort level is never a bad thing.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
VinceSF wrote:
never sail too overpowered, you're not learning anything.

Sure you are. You're learning how to sail overpowered.

I assumed Vince was joking.
fanaticultrahawk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details.jsp?category=MLCOM_StorageSecurity&modelNumber=5900D&showquiz=0

best lock box better thank a real estate one because its bigger for larger keys and you can lock it anywhere with the included chain if you dont want it on or near your car.

I use all the time when on the water or ski lodge especialy if you dont know who is going to want to go back to the car first
Brian_S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: better than lock boxes Reply with quote

Better than a lock box, get a Ford. You can buy it with, or add a number pad to the door. Leave your keys inside (but not in the ignition).
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it, and may someday regret it, but I still chuckle at all this lock stuff, considering how many people sail with their doors open.

HAH! Just thought of a good use for a GoPro: hide it in the van to catch thieves.
rangerider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyvek tape for small board punctures - it's not ideal but it holds very well and is AT LEAST AS THICK AND STRONG AS THE BOTTOM OF THE DAMN BOARD. I have two tape repairs over a year old for small puntures that I was too lazy to fix the right way.

I sail with my keys.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bad back I wanted to find a way to carry boards down to the beach.

I take a 1 inch nylon strap with buckles, insert the universal into the board, wrap the nylon strap around the universal and 1 front footstrap. flip the board on edge and grab the strap and carry balanced board to beach with one hand. Strap should be set on the approbriate footstrap so strap is on footstrap closest to ground.

Been doing this for a couple of years and back ache and safety are much better.

Last edited by vikingsail on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: better than lock boxes Reply with quote

bsangeor wrote:
Better than a lock box, get a Ford. You can buy it with, or add a number pad to the door. Leave your keys inside (but not in the ignition).

I like this idea, but I don't have a Ford and don't want to get a new van just to get the number pad. So, I just did a quick search and found this (can be added to any vehicle):

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=AKE-5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: