myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Conflicts on the water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exgolfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Conflicts on the water Reply with quote

I am putting this in a new topic as I don't want to be a party to the negative and sarcastic sniping resulting from the kiteboarder hit and run post, or from the earlier commentary on BAFers, preferring to be constructive. I hope more people can focus on being constructive and informative in their posts rather than being critical of other posts or argumentative.

Fortunately in the real world, and even in this forum, there seems to be more instances and posts about windsurfers and kite boarders rendering assistance than the occasional hit and run incident or conflict. Yes there are people out there sailing and kiteboarding which don't share the proper level of care and concern or who are selfish. But on the river they seem a smaller percentage of the folks you run into so to speak than what I seem to experience in the big city.

To me, more people on the water means more people enjoying and helping sustain this sport which should help make being out on the water safer and makes me happy to see their smiles even if I have to take some added care. Its one thing I miss about the 80's, the buzz and the crowd around windsurfing, though I was never good enough or had time enough to really enjoy it back then.

Sadly I couldn't get back into the sport until age 50 and was not very good at control or anything else for several summers. I tried to sail far from others and avoided the crowded venues as an overweight underskilled menace to myself and others. As I have gotten better (with Heidi's help) I have gradually worked into such spots. But when I see someone approaching who is learning and reminds me of my earlier failings, I try to give them extra room as I don't want to scare or discourage them from progressing and enjoying this great sport. Its only a small detour anyway and there seems to lots of swell and wind for those who are patient. I know the right of way rules but never have to worry about them much even when I sail at the event site.

I am sure some could find fault with this approach but it makes me happy on the water so I don't care.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great posting! Good for you!
doug_needs_wind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on!!
doug_needs_wind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on!!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you exgolfer, it's funny because this is the exact opposite attitude you get while surfing, they do everything they can to chase people off a break.
We are better than that.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the common sense approach. Hunaitu goes a long way. We all started once upon a time. Some write as if they were gliding down 8 foot swells the first day they touched a board as if they just knew what to do intuitively. Yeah right.
PHEMJU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post, kindness wins everytime!
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes us what we are is a love and a passion for what we have here. What we have here is an incredible connection to a sport and a river that we all share in common. If we can focus on these things we can have peace between us and this is what will bring us together in the future. I would hope this is the path that we all choose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: