myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Simple but brilliant tips and tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or there is this hitch lock box:

http://www.oceanextremesports.com/hitchsafe-trailer-hitch-lock-box.html
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tell your wife you had a great session. Always come home pissed and act like you got skunked bad. If you are a decent husband she will feel sorry and give you the green light for the next windy day..

Disclaimer...do not abuse this tip. Use sparingly when epic wind is in the forecast.

good luck
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Never tell your wife you had a great session. Always come home pissed and act like you got skunked bad. If you are a decent husband she will feel sorry and give you the green light for the next windy day..

Disclaimer...do not abuse this tip. Use sparingly when epic wind is in the forecast.

good luck

Exact opposite, come home raving about how good the session was, and then be extra considerate to her for a while, telling her the whole time how good your session made your mood. Next time the wind blows she will suggest you go sailing. As a result I now have a permanent free pass for the weekends, and she never plans social events without checking with me whether I will be sailing then.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife sails, and usually goes with me. If she can't make it, she'll be stoked that I had a good session. Good thing, too, 'cos I'm a terrible liar!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
come home raving about how good the session was, and then be extra considerate to her for a while, telling her the whole time how good your session made your mood. Next time the wind blows she will suggest you go sailing.

Agreed!

sergem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Loose suits are warmer, as they allow an air space between cold neoprene and warm skin. Of course, that doesn't work if a suit lets water flow through readily; the cuffs need to do their job if the water's chilly.

Wetsuits work by allowing some water circulation but restricting it. The water close to your body warms up and acts as a barrier, because cold water has to mix with it before getting to your body.

Anything that increases circulation makes a wetsuit work worse.

Tight wetsuits all the way!
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Spyderco h1-salt knife - it does not corrode in salt water. (like, at all)

When waterstarting, see if you can rotate your rig around by pulling along sail edge - this is faster than swimming it.

+1 for key lock box. I put master lock on my tow eye.

Electric tape on mast: also make sure your mast plugs are secure. Sand may get into your mast joint from inside the mast, and you can't tape that.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
isobars wrote:
Loose suits are warmer, as they allow an air space between cold neoprene and warm skin. Of course, that doesn't work if a suit lets water flow through readily; the cuffs need to do their job if the water's chilly.

Wetsuits work by allowing some water circulation but restricting it. The water close to your body warms up and acts as a barrier, because cold water has to mix with it before getting to your body.

Anything that increases circulation makes a wetsuit work worse.

Tight wetsuits all the way!

True for scuba diving or surfing bet we are windsurfing and not in the water that much, hopefully.
To me a windsurfing wetsuit is more about defending against cold wind.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
Get a Spyderco h1-salt knife - it does not corrode in salt water. (like, at all

I have a Spyderco Atlantic Salt that stays in my boardshorts and you are right, it will not corrode, it's my EDC.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we get very few cold dayz down here in florida. i will sometimes use a plastic garbage bag as a vapor layer between my rash guard and 3/2 wetsuit. recently got a really thick, full slick skin suit that does not require this, but works in a pinch if i need to use my old thinner stuff from time to time.

when it's cold do not spend time resting. that's when you get coldest, standing around doing nothing.

on shore pound prone beaches, do not go in to rest. the shore pound will sap far more energy when you want to relaunch.

on big dayz, do not jump in the middle of the impact zone. jump on the outside. if you are forced to jump, do so off the wind so the trajectory is longer and flatter, that way the landing keeps one planing.

side onshore type days same goes for wave rides, try to use only the outside, don't ride a wave all the way in unless the break is really tame all the way thru.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: