myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
weed fin for Exocet windsup 11'8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: weed fin for Exocet windsup 11'8 Reply with quote

I'm looking for recommendations for a weed fin on the 11'8 windsup.
waterloo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi outhaul,

If you are talking non-wave riding, I run a Lessacher 36cm Duo weed with a HSM 10m SpeedFreak and a Lessacher 32cm Duo weed with a HSM 8.5m SpeedFreak (and will use same fin with a 7.5m SPF).

I have found other weedfins not to shed my type of weed adequately (floating sea grass)

Cheers.
outhaul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Waterloo,

Looks like a nice fin, thanks for the recommendation.
I'd probably go for the 32cm.
The Speed Freak and 11'8 sound like a nice combo!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use a Hahalua 38 from Makani on my Kona One with a 9.0. It fits a 7.5 too and I find it works pretty well. I guess the boards are somewhat similar.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a 25 cm wardog weed-wave fin on my 11'8," but I don't like it. Need lots more wind to plane with that old weed-wave fin than with a nice 32 cm non-weed fin. The only thing I use the weed-wave fin for now is sup, when it's nice to have a fin that won't hit the bottom when you ride a small wave into the shallows.

The recommendation of a more efficient 30-something weedfin sounds better for you.

Windnc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Weed Fin for Exocet WindSUP Reply with quote

I have also tried the Wardog Weed-Wave 10" ( Almost the same as the True Ames 10" Surf Grass), on my Exocet WindSup 11'8. I concur with Douglas that it does not plane up as well until the wind is stronger. It is not a real fast fin either.

I have also tried a True Ames 12" Surf Grass and it was the same feeling. However, when running the 10" it does O.K. for real light wind wave sailing. When there is barely enough wind to plane anyway and you are mainly just cruising out through the surf, jibing and pumping up onto a wave to ride in, it seems to work fine. It also loosens up the board for turning and jibing on the waves. I use the 10" Wardog on it too for SUP paddling in flat water or when SUP surfing.

I have also tried it with a Maui Fin Company San Carlos Weed Wave 25cm fin. This fin seemed faster but is a little bit smaller in area than the 10" Wardog Weed Wave. It is similiar in performance when windsurfing in that it takes more wind to get it up and planing. It also is good for SUP paddle surfing with the 11'8" though.

For flat water with weeds I have used also used a Lessacher Duo Weed 36 with a 9.0 a couple of times and it performed very well and was fast for a weed fin. I have never had problem with my Lessacher fins not shedding weeds or floating sea grass either! I would think that perhaps a True Ames Blade Weed in the proper size might work well too?
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a True-Ames blade weed II in 43cm that works great with the wind-SUP, possibly a smaller fin would be better but I'm not complaining. I would probably get a Makani hahalua in the appropriate size if I had to buy another weed fin as I am pleased with mine for my other board. Actually for a 7.5m sail the Makani finsguide recommends a 43cm hahalua so my blade weed is probably about right for this board and the sails I am using - 7.5M and 9.5M

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the extra fin area helps lift the big board onto plane although it would obviously limit top speed.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extra fin, weed is going to wet the board too much. extra fin, regular, will allow a much bigger sail. too much fin for any board/sail combo makes for slow top end and railing up in gusts. all about balance.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with the Makani Hahalua 38cm. So far so good performance wise, can't say I noticed any drop off in speed or upwind vs the stock 44cm fin, except NO WEEDS!
Fantastic customer service too!

Tried to work with Lessacher, I know his fins are highly regarded but it was was like pulling teeth trying to communicate, he's a very grumpy old man.
I don't need bs like that.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to be a Lessacher weed fin available through unifiber now
anyone tried it ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: