myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Simple but brilliant tips and tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're young, strong, proud, and able to downhaul with the rope wrapped around your hand, DON'T. I used to be young, strong, proud, and able. Now I'm 62, not as strong and have permanent scrarring near finger and hand bones. Add that to typical arthritis, and I definitely can't sail for as many hours per day as I used to. I use my harness hook to downhaul now, and push on the mast base with my foot.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great

Last edited by yvanboniec on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
sergem wrote:
isobars wrote:
Loose suits are warmer, as they allow an air space between cold neoprene and warm skin. Of course, that doesn't work if a suit lets water flow through readily; the cuffs need to do their job if the water's chilly.

Wetsuits work by allowing some water circulation but restricting it. The water close to your body warms up and acts as a barrier, because cold water has to mix with it before getting to your body.

Anything that increases circulation makes a wetsuit work worse.

Tight wetsuits all the way!

True for scuba diving or surfing bet we are windsurfing and not in the water that much, hopefully.
To me a windsurfing wetsuit is more about defending against cold wind.

You guys are better and/or less aggressive sailors and/or are more willing to slog than I, as I spend a lot of TIW in typical holey Gorge and other inland winds. I'd also guess few of you have tried Kokatat suits, in which warmth can be adjusted probably over a 2:1 range by adjusting its air volume; loose neoprene suits provide a lesser but still distinct difference, in air and in water. Of course, the only folks who would know that are those who have tested both tight and loose suits, as I very extensively have. (I could also cite extensive experimental evidence from tight vs loose gym shirts and tight vs loose top bedsheets.) I'm sticking with loose when I need to stay warm (presuming, as I've said many times, the seals minimize flushing), tight only when I want extra cooling. (I SCUBA dived for years in chilly water, and air in a suit there presents a whole 'nuther set of issues.) Of course, as I've often stated, my WSing suit

BTW, a whole 'nuther tip: Kokatat Goretex suits are like sailing in heated pajamas. Worth every cent.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
I'm 62, not as strong and have permanent scrarring near finger and hand bones. Add that to typical arthritis, and I definitely can't sail for as many hours per day as I used to. I use my harness hook to downhaul now, and push on the mast base with my foot.

Corollary tip: hie the to the gym.
Nothing boosts my sailing stamina like sailing 20-40 hours a week, but I lose muscle mass in the process. OTOH, nothing boosts my strength, muscle mass, and VO2Max (generally regarded as the ultimate measure of fitness) like gym time, including weights, core, and intervals. You, at 62, can feel better and work or play better and longer (we're talking athletics here) than the average 20-something if you work at it right for just an hour or two a week with some gym equipment. You can even confine the gym stuff to the off-season if you sail a lot in season.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Energy Reduction: If you're water starting a large cambered sail in chop, I find it a lot more energy efficient to pop the cams into position by pushing on the sail close to the cam while in the water ... she'll get a 'flyin easier.

2) Energy Supply: Keeping in shape (cardio and upper-body strength) as you wait weeks for wind provides oodles more energy to tap when you actually get on the water.

3) Big fan of velcro straps keeping the correct upper/lower mast pairs together while storing and toting.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
i will sometimes use a plastic garbage bag as a vapor layer between my rash guard and 3/2 wetsuit.

when it's cold do not spend time resting. that's when you get coldest, standing around doing nothing.

on shore pound prone beaches, do not go in to rest. the shore pound will sap far more energy when you want to relaunch.

A wind-proof top OVER a suit gives any suit a HUGE warmth boost in both air and water, and it easy to add or remove as desired. Here's an example I like very much:

They're on sale now at my favorite source of garments like this:
http://www.nrs.com/product/25831/nrs-payette-jacket-closeout .
Buy it really big if you have big arms and/or plan to wear it as I do: over a wetsuit. It's sized to fit over bare skin, and even then is snug on big arms.

Standing around on shore is a toasty experience even in cold weather if you wear insulation. My favorite shore-wear is an ankle-length, quilted, windproof overcoat, with a next-best choice being insulated coveralls, sized to fit very easily over my full sailing kit: wetsuit, rib armor, harness, whatever. Standing on shore in a chilly wind is now warming, not chilling.

If on a board too small to slog EASILY (most of my sailing), add a wide wind shadow to shoreline obstacles to be avoided as long as possible. I'll get mighty thirsty or hungry, or the wind will get might crappy, or it will get mighty dark, before I'll slog/swim hundreds of yards across a wind shadow.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks don't use cranks because it is possible to down haul without them.
The real value in cranks is the position.
You mostly sit down to use other methods leaning backwards and looking down the sail on the flat.
With a crank you can take a knee and actually see the sail leech.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
sergem wrote:
isobars wrote:
Loose suits are warmer, as they allow an air space between cold neoprene and warm skin. Of course, that doesn't work if a suit lets water flow through readily; the cuffs need to do their job if the water's chilly.

Wetsuits work by allowing some water circulation but restricting it. The water close to your body warms up and acts as a barrier, because cold water has to mix with it before getting to your body.

Anything that increases circulation makes a wetsuit work worse.

Tight wetsuits all the way!

True for scuba diving or surfing bet we are windsurfing and not in the water that much, hopefully.
To me a windsurfing wetsuit is more about defending against cold wind.

You guys are better and/or less aggressive sailors and/or are more willing to slog than I, as I spend a lot of TIW in typical holey Gorge and other inland winds. I'd also guess few of you have tried Kokatat suits, in which warmth can be adjusted probably over a 2:1 range by adjusting its air volume; loose neoprene suits provide a lesser but still distinct difference, in air and in water. Of course, the only folks who would know that are those who have tested both tight and loose suits, as I very extensively have. (I could also cite extensive experimental evidence from tight vs loose gym shirts and tight vs loose top bedsheets.) I'm sticking with loose when I need to stay warm (presuming, as I've said many times, the seals minimize flushing), tight only when I want extra cooling. (I SCUBA dived for years in chilly water, and air in a suit there presents a whole 'nuther set of issues.) Of course, as I've often stated, WSing suit neck/ankle/neck seals are very important in chilly water with loose suits; flushing, cold water, and leaky seals are a bad combination, as sergem pointed out.

BTW, a whole 'nuther tip: Kokatat Goretex suits are like sailing in heated pajamas. Worth every cent.
winfreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Cold weather windsurfing Reply with quote

Speaking of cold weather, has anyone tried these palm harnesses with warm gloves for windsurfing in very cold conditions?

http://solutionsdept.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3

Or these special gloves?

http://www.wakeboards.com/Radar-Vice-Water-Ski-Gloves-p/radar_vice_waterski_glove.htm

Or other products ? Question
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
Never tell your wife you had a great session. Always come home pissed and act like you got skunked bad. If you are a decent husband she will feel sorry and give you the green light for the next windy day..

Disclaimer...do not abuse this tip. Use sparingly when epic wind is in the forecast.

good luck

Exact opposite, come home raving about how good the session was, and then be extra considerate to her for a while, telling her the whole time how good your session made your mood. Next time the wind blows she will suggest you go sailing. As a result I now have a permanent free pass for the weekends, and she never plans social events without checking with me whether I will be sailing then.

Doesn't work for me...I talk so much about the session that she gets annoyed Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: