myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges 08-26-2013 Reply with quote

Sailed Natural Bridges with three other sailors today. Wind OK, but not real strong.
Sailed Natural Bridges yesterday when the wind never came up. Practiced my slogging. Sailed about 2-1/4 miles up the coast tacking all the way. Sailed downwind on broad reaches for the most part. Saw a lot of dolphins off of the Natural Bridges area itself. Some pretty close up.
Sailed Natural Bridges Saturday with about four other sailors. Fun day.
Sailed Pleasure Point on Friday. Not much wind and only caught one decent wave, an eye high one at Sewers. The surf was so few and far between few surfers were out.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Waddell Reply with quote

Waddell was fun today. Plenty of wind. A little lacking in swell.
A lot of Natural Bridges regulars ended up sailing at Waddell.
The temperatures were very pleasantly warm. This is a good time of year to try the ocean, if you have not already.
bert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: tack attack at Oyster Reply with quote

Oyster Point on Wednesday. 5.3/90L was the call. I only did tacks, cranked out "bout 30 of them..,made 9. Back in the day I would make about 80% of my tacks. Guess as we age our flexibility and speed of foot diminish, but I was still disappointed because there was very little chop at Tigers and I should have done better.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Natural Bridges 08-28-2013 Reply with quote

Sailed Natural Bridges today on a 4.7. About six sailors out.
Fun to sail out in the fog where shore was no longer visible and it was only you the board, the rig, the waves and the wind. And the occasional windsurfer appearing out of the fog into your own little world and then out again.
Sunshine on the coast and for about 1/4 mile out. Thick fog beyond that.

Saw one other windsurfer sailing off of Swift Avenue later.

A nice windsurfers party in the park after the sessions for one of the windsurfers birthdays.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother Nature has not been kind to Candlestick this season, offering fewer sailable days than usual especially from late July to early August. But she seems to make up for the shortcoming the last two weeks. Since Monday this week, I have three 4.2 and two 4.7 days. IMO, forecast has been off all week and the sensor readings are on the low side as usual.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't complain, windgood.

the normal prevailing wind patterns used to be NW april into june, SW mid june thru end of august, then lighter NW until the end of the season.

the last two seasons have had much more NW than in the past.

it appears to me that the south bay has been getting better wind while berkeley and sites north that like SW winds have suffered.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
don't complain, windgood.

the normal prevailing wind patterns used to be NW april into june, SW mid june thru end of august, then lighter NW until the end of the season.

the last two seasons have had much more NW than in the past.

If you go to the Wind Observation page and choose Candlestick Point, Last 7, you will see a wind statistics pie chart on Wind Direction Distribution (%) at the bottom of the page. Well, if I understand the chart correctly, July wind direction is predominately NW to W with a few WSW but zero SW. August wind direction is also predominately NW to W with some WSW and a little bit of SW. Wink
victor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the wind at candlestick is predominantly NW. that is due to the geography. you have to look also at the wind speeds. april, may & to some extent june have by far the most sailable days.

if you look at just 2013 you will see that june winds improved quite a bit over the average of the last 7 years.

i was talking about more than 7 years ago, anyway. back when one could go to east and north bay sites almost any day during the summer and count on good sailing without the wind dying off by 4PM.
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the best candlestick year in a while. Used the 4.1 a lot this year. Barely brought it out last year.
devengadula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TI was awesome yesterday and it will be today again, I bet. It usually is on labor day. I expected to find more people there on the water but there was nobody else there between 3:45 to 4:15.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 18 of 329

Jump to: