myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mexico at Xmas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foiled_again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Mexico at Xmas Reply with quote

I'd like to drive into Mexico around Christmas and rent a little house close to the wind and beach. Any suggestions? My daughter and her boyfriend want to make the drive on their motorcycles and my wife and other daughter would fly in.
Meantime; just hoping for a couple more TI ebb sessions when the new bridge opens /Cool
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be easy to find a place. But I'd be very concerned about my beautiful daughter riding a bike down there. This is serious business. I do not advise driving at night...ever! If you are driving down, I'd stay close to your family and have a plan of where you want to stay. Mexico is no place for newbies. My wife is Mexican and she will not go there any more... Crying or Very sad
victor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of places of varying prices to rent in los barriles and la ventana. better get to work on that because christmas is definitely high season. if you're driving and can carry your gear there a a lot of choices. punto chivato, cabo pulmo and other less popular places.

baja sur is at least as safe as almost any place on this side of the border.

the violence you hear about is closer to the border and on the mainland. unfortunately if your're driving you have to go through some of the worst of it.

i saw a couple in a campground in los barriles that had come down on a motorcycle.
MrFish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of people ride down.

Driving at night: true because of cows that may be sleeping in the road.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing real danger about being kidnapped/robbed etc that everyone who does not go to Baja worries about. Don't camp alone, though, there are sketchy opportunists around like anywhere.

But..
- narrow two lane roads with unexpected hazards such as cattle/horses wandering onto the road and the more-than-occasional 'crazy' driver that takes huge risks and overtakes on blind curves, or trucks that wander into your lane. Definitely no night riding.
- long stretches without gas - you need to know your range.
- If something happens, you are a very long way from decent medical care. No 911 call and a helicopter landing on the freeway.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never driven it but isn't the distance like driving from SF to Seattle doing the coast route with NO FREEWAY and not very good roads???
Not to mention add the journey from (whereever you are from) to the border of Mexico. Seems like a long long long long trip on a motorcycle!
johnnyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the whole crew fly into Cabo or La Paz, rent a car and head to Los Barriles. The town has a place where you can rent quads to head out on your own to explore the desert. And Vela will rent you gear.
Baja is amazing, but that is a LONG ride on a motorcycle from the border.
windsurfmama

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Ventana is another option. I've stayed at Captain Kirk's and enjoyed the view and the company. Breakfast to order comes with the daily lodging. You can use their kayaks and SUPs and of course rent their gear. The boards are nice. The smallest sail is 4.2. There are some other sites (other than Capt Kirks) with lodging that may offer a better selection of boards and sails. They offer yoga in the mornings in the open air family room. Their casitas are comfortable with a woman's touch for ambiance. I'd fly into Cabo (much cheaper and shorter flight), rent a car from Cactus (they have a better price...same cheapo cars). Give Alex a small box of See's candy for better service at Cactus. You will likely get a manual vs automatic. It is about a 2 hr drive to La Ventana. Watch out for cows and other animals on the road.
Uses a credit card that that you rarely use (and call the credit card company to let them know you will be using it in Mexico). My credit card number was stolen there. Same thing happened to a friend of mine visiting MX around the same time. I only used that credit card twice, one for a hotel in La Paz and the other to fill up with gas. Next door is a fishing guide who can take you fishing. I don't know what is in season in the fall, but in Feb we pulled in 3 yellowtail (30-50 pounds each).
Fall is a great time to go to baja....it is still warm enough but not too hot.
Enjoy!
victor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

los barriles might be a better destination for non sailing members of your party.

it is more of a town and has more accommodation and dining options. it's also half the distance from the san jose del cabo airport. there's a nice little skin diving town a little south. non sailers might also want to check out cabo san lucas, catch a movie, shop, go to a tittie bar,or whatever.

you can always take a drive from there to la ventana if you feel like it. nearby la paz is worth a visit.
combs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have stayed the last two Xmas/NYE vacations at Ventana Windsports in La Ventana and cannot say enough positives about the place. Great lodging, excellent all inclusive food, gear is brand new and the best in town. And finally the people are great. They book up early as does everyone else that time of year so would strongly suggest you get your reservations in ASAP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: