myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
big ezzys: rdm or sdm?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
I just think that they would recommend a mast from a mast company, but not one from a competing sail company.

anyway, have fun!!

I found that odd too Shocked

Either way, I've used the 460 Ezzy RDM (91%) and the 460 KA RDM (100%) on my Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 and found that both worked really well. That Peterman test shows the 400 ezzy rdm having a T:77.9 B:63.4, which is very close to the KA bend curve of T:77.5% B:64%. I also like the fact that the KA has the reinforced material (silver stuff) on the exposed area and where the cams would go (SDM only, RDM only has it on the exposed cutout area).

Have never used the Lion but if it's similar to the infinity, I preferred it with an SDM

-Kevin

rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Ezzy: Ezzy mast bend curves are tip: 75% to 79% and base: 62% to 65%
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are far more sail company brands than OEM's. the trick is to know which OEM's will work with which sails. quite often Ezzy's work well on SDM powerX, and epic masts. they have a bend and reflex far different than no limitz RDM's.

RDM's vs SDM's is a subtle, yet fairly noticeable difference in performances. we had 2 identical 6.4 free ride sails one year, one had a 100% RDM, the other a 100% SDM. quite often, the riders that were in the RDM complained about the sail being heavy, especially in higher wind app's. just one of many primary research observations i've seen year over year.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the focus on RDM versus SDM for sails with cambers brings up the issue of camber size and shape. In my past experience, cambers for SDMs are much bigger, particularly right above and below the boom area. To work well, a camber needs to seat and rotate off the curved mast surface. However, I have to admit that I haven't been using cambered sails for a least 8-9 years. Maybe they have cambers now that modify their mast bearing area to suit either RDMs or SDMs, but I would tend to doubt it. Any sloppiness in the luff sleeve and the leading edge of the sail due to improperly sized cambers will work to distort the foil and affect rotation.

If I was you, I would question the Ezzy folks about their camber design and it's suitability for different diameter masts.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swchandler - Ezzy Lion comes with different size cams for different masts, I doubt there is a mast made today that would not be compatible from the standpoint of cam size/shape.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy cam sails come with different size cambers and camber pockets to fine tune cam to mast.

One measures the diameter of the mast where the cambers are located with a measuring tape that is provided with the sail. then you look up the diameter and which cam it is on a chart. The chart tells you what size cam and which pocket to use for that cam.

It's a great system and dials in cam tension and all that stuff perfectly for whatever diameter mast you have.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that crosses that problem off the list.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to come down to a matter of personal taste , for the RDM or SDM

normally I use RDMs in 6.5 and down and a SDM, Powerex 100% in larger,

this year however I used the 460 Ezzy on my 7.5 and found it more to my likeing. Reference to EZZY sails .

David will say that the correct mast bend curve is more important than the RDM/SDM question.

& that any mast 'will' work in any sail, it depends on how much RANGE you are willing to give up, and how much the particular sail has to begin with.

I have tried some weird mast combos and been surprised, my mistake I inserted a HotSails Hot Rod in a Ezzy, that in theory should not work, but it did exceeding well.

David will answer honest and quickly

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: