myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good spots for learning in the Bay area
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Good spots for learning in the Bay area Reply with quote

I'm just learning to windsurf and have been working on improving the skills I picked up at an ABK camp at Rio Vista last year. I've been sailing in Moss Landing Harbor since I work there and live in Santa Cruz (Aptos, actually) but am looking for a place with more consistent and stronger wind than the fluky 10-12 knots I usually wind up with at Moss. I can usually uphaul in pretty strong winds, tack and gybe most of the time in light to medium air and am working on a water start when I get enough wind, although at this point my waterstarts are more entertainment for anyone watching from the beach than success. I'm on a Windsup 11'8". Suggestions for decent, relatively safe spots will be appreciated anywhere from Monterey to the Bay area.

Thanks - Gene
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alameda in the spring
Berkeley in the early summer
Sherman Island county Park mid summer until fall

Tamales, Chrissy, T.I. 3rd Ave after that

Waddell, Davenport after that

Then Jalama and Pistol River

Then quite your job and travel the world.
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would endorse Alameda and Berkeley too, but if you live in or near Santa Cruz then that is quite a drive! A bit closer (near SFO) I would look into Coyote Point and Third Ave. if you stay on the inside at both spots, then there is land on downwind side and are pretty safe.

I also hear folks talk about sailing in Palo Alto but i've never been down that end of the bay.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: sailing venue ideas Reply with quote

Seek the sage advice of Windward1. He seems to have the Santa Cruz spots wired for all manner of windsurf fun. Maybe search on his posts for ideas or talk to the man himself. He is friendly, helpful, and has good stoke.

Coming over to SF Bay can be tricky timing-wise with traffic and all. Lots of great sailing spots here though, and can still work well when coast is shutdown.

ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: It's hard to find an easy progression close to Santa Cruz Reply with quote

It's hard to find an easy progression close to Santa Cruz
Moss Landing is and old favorite.
The two high wind spots that are easiest are
San Luis Res and Candlestick . San Luis can also be
good for low winding its weed season there now though.
For low wind you might try Cowells there is also Shoreline
in Mountain View. There use to be some small lakes but they
have been shut down do to the Zebra Mussels. You might try
Lexington Res for low winds but its kind of low wind and swirly.
Some people try to learn at Natural Bridges but its not what
I consider a easy beginner spot due to the kelp and the possibility o
of going on down winder with not many places to come in.

If you are going to San Luis Res there is a shortcut.
Watsonville 129 to 101 north to 25 toward Hollister left on Shore Rd it turns into Fairview then left on 156 to 152

You will find it easier to Waterstart and plane on a smaller board.

http://www.goinoff.com/
carl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand on what Ctuna mentioned:
Lexington can be good on a south wind in the spring, but it's also shutdown
because of the mussles and is quite low water now.
Shoreline lake is great for beginners, can get decent wind and very safe, nice lawn rigging, showers.
Candlestick is good for flat water but it can get alot of wind and is offshore so waterstarting is recommended or stay close to shore. Also don't go there if the 49ers are playing.
Coyote Pt has good wind and is more beginner friendly and you can get waterstarting lessons right there at Boardsportsschool.com.
The county is reconstructing the breakwater at Coyote, so they have some of the parking blocked with fences and equipment, but the launch ramps are still open.
Learning to waterstart will open up alot of high wind venues, strongly recommend a lesson ASAP.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all wrong!

For years, I too was looking for the perfect spot to teach waterstarts and it was right under my nose the whole time.

The lower launch at Third Ave is perfect. Preferred wind direction is WNW or NW, which is the prevalent direction most days it blows. After that its tide dependent. You want 2-4 feet. With that you can ride nearly to the channel, attempt your tack or jibe, fall off, and still stand up in waist to shoulder deep water! Perfect for perfecting your beach into waterstarts! Ebbing is always best because the water is smoother, but flooding will also work - and force better upwind habits. As anyone who sails Third will tell you, wind is typically around 18-20. Again, perfect for perfecting those waterstarts and high wind skills.

Don't tell anyone I told you Smile
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gene,
Interesting that you sail Moss Landing. I have sailed there, but usually in the winter when there is wind there and no where else.
A few questions:
1. Have you sailed off the beach there in the waves?
2. Do you have footstraps on your board?
Per your message your are seeking stronger than 12 mph winds. There are times when you can find that in Santa Cruz County without going to points west and north of lighthouse point, but it is rarely. I do sail and Angulo 10' 10" off of New Brighton Beach State Park, which is a similar board to your WindSUP, but has no footstraps. It is usually less than 12 knots there so will not often provide what you are looking for unless you tack fairly far up the coast, or sail out about a mile. The coast along there has some great swell riding however, especially on a south swell. Ideal conditions for what your board is made for.
If your skills are such that you can get back upwind in either light or heavy wind when the conditions suddenly change, you might be ready to try the west side of town or up the coast. If you catch the period where the wind is rising, or this late in the season, it might be the peak wind, you can find the conditions you are looking for close to home.
hochuli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of sailors from Santa Cruz end up at San Luis. Those of us who sail the Medieros side call the other side the 'Santa Cruz' side.

It has already been pointed out that the weeds are now in charge, OK for high wind sailing, awful for learning to waterstart.

If, next season, you are still working on this, the cove on the Medieros side is a wonderful spot to learn waterstarts as you will only get blown as far as you wish and you will get blown into shallow water so that you can walk back and try again.

The traffic getting there can be bad but with a little timing, its OK. I come in from the east and it couldn't be easier.
hochuli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error

Last edited by hochuli on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: