myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Heavy sailor, light wind wave and bump board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tthole wrote:
Therefore I suggest you consider a custom board talk to a shaper, tell them what you want and see what they can do for you. I bet the price will be very similar to production but you will be much happier with the custom. No matter who you talk to Nelson Factory, Roberts or another they should be able to design the perfect big board for the NW wave conditions for a 200+ weight.

As long as the OP is aware that EVERY shaper ultimately makes what HE wants to make. We get to choose whether we want a wave or slalom board, and might persuade SOME of them to soften or sharpen the rails amidship or lop an inch off the nose, but we're still gettin' a [insert shaper logo here]. The old adage of "try before buying" is still optimal.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
maui demo's are bad news. if one likes something in maui, quite often it is too slow to plane elsewhere.

That is true for a number of boards, but not for all of them. Some shapers have found ways to get both early planing and extremely good control. The Tabou 3S is one example.

The 96 l 3S has received the top ranking for comfort in chop in a German windsurf magazine ("Kabbelwellenvernichter des Jahres"). The UK windsurf magazine confirmed that ("It’s incredible fun in choppier, bump & jump conditions"), but also notes "it pops up onto the plane extremely early and accelerates quickly with very little rider input required".

That's my experience, too. The 3S is incredibly versatile. I hop on it as soon as wind averages are around 18, and feel perfectly comfortable on it in 30+ winds and voodoo chop. Unlike slalom and "super sport" boards, it is perfectly fine going slow, and might even trick you into thinking that the board is slow. It definitely is not - put a fast fin and sail on, and it will keep up with slalom boards. I have done 30 knots on it, in conditions where I would have been hard pressed to reach 31 knots on my slalom boards.

I am not sponsored by Tabou, and have paid full retail for my 3S at my local shop. But of the 14 boards in my shed and van, the 3S is the board that I'll pick almost every time when it's windy enough. If I had to replace my light wind planing board now, I'd probably get a 3S 116 - preferably after a demo in Hatteras or Maui.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried a Tabou yet. Are they back-foot turners, as in in-the-strap, or do they need forward weight bias to crank tight turns?
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode the new Kodes in the DR in February, mostly the 93 (or whatever the 9x size is), which was plenty floaty for my 200 lbs, but did just about everything well. Planes early, turns well, and since you're already on SBs, you'll have the right fins. Everyone seems to love them.
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with regards to the Tabou 3S but you might also consider the Fanatic Freewave 115.
donledford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks - FireMove or Xcross Reply with quote

I appreciate the input. Here's some feedback from my perspective.

The new board will rarely be rigged with anything smaller than the 7.5m2 Aerotech Phantom I just acquired. When it's windy enough for a 6.2m2 I'll get my 105L Kombat or 82L Goya out of the van.

I'm not a fan of the wind-sup approach. In my experience wind-sups are marginal SUPs and worse windsurfers. I surf an 8'6" quad SUP and when there's not enough wind for the 130L + 7.5m2 combo I'd prefer to paddle. I have friends who disagree with me on this.

We often have 10-20 conditions here in the Pacific Northwest and I'm thinking a 130L + 7.5m2 combo will have me bumping and wave sailing. I typically rig a 7.0m2 with my current 122L Kombat. I'm thinking a short, wide 130L will pump on to a plane with the 7.5m2 when it's barely capping.

I've narrowed it down to the RRD Firemove 130 and the Exocet Xcross 130. I'm leaning toward the Firemove at the moment, but probably won't pull the trigger until late Fall.

Thanks,
Don
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've explored what options have been available to windSUP for years until windsurfing mag went away. the name has been applied differently since WSMag.

planing windsurfers that SUP are different than inflatable things that *board has introduced, or the bic jungle, and various others.

exocet has been providing different models and construction wave oriented long boards. kona 11'5 " carbon has yet to be topped in my warm, light wind surf. the 11'8" worx great in the lightest of winds, and has kept me from resorting to paddle. this new windSUP 10'2" may be the best yet? dunno, i'm picking up an approval board on friday.

http://www.exocet-original.com/wind-sup102.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jingebritsen, which board would be better in large surf? The x-cross 130, or the wind-sup 9'2" 130 liter board? Or is there a better model for larger surf and side shore wind. (California point breaks)
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to like the longer water lines for really light wind stuff. X-cross needs far more wind to be right for me. i'm going to try the 9'2" as well as the 10'2" but i was trying to get patrice to do a 10'8"

several birthdays ago, there was a trifecta of storms that provided lots of dayz in a row. used the 11'5" kona carbon with a 7.5 sail in mast high stuff that kept pouring in from storms afar. wind was 8-12 side on. i was in heaven for 3 days in a row. that's mast high to a 7.5 sail. wide spaces, lotsa push, but just enough wind and crumble to make getting out a snap. rides were forever long. best 3 days of wave sailing i've had in decades. on an 11'5"!

so when people ask me about shorter stuff, i tend to remember longer stuff.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: