myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to Southern California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRU2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: New to Southern California Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to Southern California. I'm living in Woodland Hills and I will like to know who windsurfs in Jalama this days. If you do can you tell me when is a good time to go to Jalama and how far you think it's from Woodland Hills? I just moved from Puerto Rico and I want to know if I should ship my equipment or leave it there for when I visit. I have a wave board 84 and Slalom 105 liters. Three sails 6.0, 5.7, 5.3. Does anyone rents equipment in Southern California that I can take to Jalama to try it? Thanks everyone for your information.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Southern California Reply with quote

GRU2009 wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Southern California. I'm living in Woodland Hills and I will like to know who windsurfs in Jalama this days. If you do can you tell me when is a good time to go to Jalama and how far you think it's from Woodland Hills? I just moved from Puerto Rico and I want to know if I should ship my equipment or leave it there for when I visit. I have a wave board 84 and Slalom 105 liters. Three sails 6.0, 5.7, 5.3. Does anyone rents equipment in Southern California that I can take to Jalama to try it? Thanks everyone for your information.

I know it might be a drive but have you considered Cabrillo Beach? Two of the guys who sail here live in Thousand Oaks and make the drive on the weekend to go to CB!

-Kevin

spennie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevindo: True, but I think this guy's looking for waves, not flat-water BAFing.

GRU2009: Jalama is quite a schelp from Woodland Hills, probably 2 1/2 hours one-way. Coming home through Santa Barbara on a Sunday afternoon can be a nightmare as well. No rentals that I know of, and if there were they wouldn't want you to take it to Jalama, famous for mast-snapping. Your gear sounds fine for this area, you should come out to Leo Carrillo Beach State Park, only about 35 minutes for you, and windy season is right now. Not sure when Jalama is best, I'm sure someone else will chime in for that info.

GRU2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Yes I knew about Cabrillo and do plan to go. I just like waves and thought Jalama will be great. Maybe I venture to Cabrillo this weekend. I will see if Captain Kirk rents me something. How cold is the water? I need to buy a wetsuite and I want to know how thick.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama can kick butt any time of the year, but is most consistent March through May. More info here:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=129&siteID=205&Isection=Local+Info

Depending on your weight, your 84 L and 6.0/5.7/5.3 will work well at Leo Carrillo and County Line. You'll need a 7.x for your slalom board at Cabrillo Beach. At Jalama common sizes seem to be 4.2/4.7/5.3, though a floaty board really helps with the gusty wind in the impact zone.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3/2 shorty is all I wear most of the year, and in the winter I use a 4/3 full suit. Try these guys http://wetsuit.com/New_Windsport_Wetsuits.html , best suits I've ever had.

I'll be at Cabrillo tomorrow, look for the Wind Junkie van.

KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRU2009 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Yes I knew about Cabrillo and do plan to go. I just like waves and thought Jalama will be great. Maybe I venture to Cabrillo this weekend. I will see if Captain Kirk rents me something. How cold is the water? I need to buy a wetsuite and I want to know how thick.

Are you looking to rent wave equipment? Or just slalom/freeride stuff?

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRU2009 wrote:

If you are going to sail Jalama, you'd better be ready for 2 things. Cold water (4/3 wetsuit minimum), and the possibility that you might drown in the winter. Yes, some days are waist high and 20 knots, and others are mast high + with the most pounding surf you can imagine. Watch before going out. I still sail there and I'm in my late 50's so you can too if you are an experienced wave sailor.

Water is warm down here for a few more weeks, then it gets cold fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: