myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone sailing in Union Pier Michigan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianboonstra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll have an easier time in Lake Michigan chop on the Kona One than the Start -- it'll slice through better IMO. Also, you'll find footstraps are more useful (and harness lines somewhat less useful) than on smooth water.

The innermost sandbar is shallow (maybe 1-3 ft deep) and often has a tough break to get past. I highly recommend learning to beachstart if you can't already. Then be ready to throw the sail back toward the tail and then forward to the nose as you surmount the breaking waves.

The big lake can get you in trouble in novel ways -- I've started wearing a manual-pull CO2 PFD and carrying a handlheld VHF marine radio on the wilder days.

BTW it looks like you're near a largish inland lake -- Lake Hudson -- which might be a better place in big winds. I've found the learning curve for planing jibes to be essentially insurmountable on the big lake, at least at my level of coordination and lack of lessons.

In light winds, it's super pleasant to cruise the big lake, and just take in all the scenery.

(I sail Holland, Michigan).
outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I sail Lake Michigan too, only the other side near Sheboygan (Cleveland, Wi) .
My weapon of choice for the wildly varying conditions is the Exocet Windsup 11'8. I've been at this three years now and I can honestly say when I took my Exo out for the first time last year I improved about 100% instantly, I'm not kidding. It's so stable and forgiving and also pays off when one starts to put things together. I rarely use the dagger board but it's nice to have for really light conditions or teaching.
My tips would be:
1.Get an Exo 11'8
2.learn to use your harness ( very easy with this board)
3.Keep using Ezzy sails, they rock and take lots of punishment and are easy to tune for folks new to the sport.
4. Keep at it. Don't discount offshore conditions, with the dagger you can get back and the flat water is fun too.
5. Embrace the swell, there's nothing better than getting that big push and a gust of wind!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: