myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cambered Sails For Free Riding?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Cambered Sails For Free Riding? Reply with quote

I sold all my older cambered sails because they were too cumbersome for flat water free sailing. So now my biggest sail is a Hot Sails Speedfreak 8.5, a forgiving dacron sail.

But am I missing anything by not sailing larger size cambered sails 10.0 or so?
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one, and I mean no on this earth can answer that but you. I have a 10 meter Mauisails TR-3 & it is a PITA to rig, it weighs way too much, I hate up hauling it or jibing it & I won’t use it if the wind is under 13 or over 20 knots and the destination is less than 3 miles. But since I have at least 6 places near me with reaches of 5 or more miles with normal winds between 15-20 mph I would miss mine.

Coachg
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you rarely drop it in the water and sail it overpowered which is what those heavy multi battened and multi cambered sails are designed for.
I read an review on some sails where they compared two different models of the same basic sail, cambered and not, the only advantage was sailing upwind which makes sense as the cambered sail kept it's shape better.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cams give the sail more stability and greater range- always have, always will. No-cam sails have come a long way, but for the ultimate top end performance, cams are still king. As with everything, it's a trade off. Do you want to be able to slide your mast in, downhaul and outhaul and be ready to sail, or are you willing to take an extra 30 seconds to pop on cams? Do you want your sail to glide across and power up smoothy when you jibe, or do you want it to snap over and provide a burst of power? Do you want to be able to push your sail at max downhaul, max outhaul with the top of the sail twisted wide open sailing fully overpowered, or do you want to come in and just rig up a smaller sail? Different strokes for different folks, there's no right answer.

sm
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason 2nd hand race sails sell for a much bigger discount vs their retail price compared to equivalent size freerace/freeride sails.

A slightly different topic, but I sometimes see people who are still learning / trying to improve some aspect of their jibe who are on 4 camber race sails. Learning to jibe is so much easier without cambers.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After swearing I would never buy another cambered sail I broke my ten year pledge last year and bought a Naish Indy cambered sail. I picked up the sail last January and it was a nightmare from day one. Every time I got the sail rigged after a 15min wrestling match the cams would break after a few flips of the sail. I went back and forth with BIG WINDS(they were great) and finally got the correct cams. After using the sail about six times so far I can say if there is a magic I have yet to notice it. There may be some minor enhancements in performance but I will take my Sailworks Retro or Maui Sails Pursuit back in a heartbeat.
Not sure about all brands but with this Naish sail if the cam breaks you are done for the day.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9.5 Ezzy Lion and it's not so bad as far as weight, uphauling, etc. I'm too crappy of a sailor to get a full on race sail.

The biggest advantage I get (as an intermediate) with it is the HUGE wind range. My next sail down is a 7.5, and there's a good amount of overlap (playing with the board, fin, etc.) It's super comfortable once up and going, but pretty much everything else sucks compared to a non-cammed sail.

On the smaller end they don't make much sense for freeriding in my opinion, unless maybe you're sailing at a super gusty location.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Cams give the sail more stability and greater range- always have, always will. No-cam sails have come a long way, but for the ultimate top end performance, cams are still king.

Depends on how you describe "ultimate top end performance". How come we don't see professional wave sailors using cammed sails? Or freestylers? Why don't windsurfing instructors tell their students working on jibing to switch to cammed sails?

If I'm course racing I want cammed sails. If I'm sailing a rig larger than 7.5 I want cams. Otherwise I'm camless, and I always buy the best gear available (and wear pants with holes in them due to the ensuing poverty.)

bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

Depends on how you describe "ultimate top end performance".

Ultimate top end performance = the best or greatest performance at the top end of the sail's wind range. I.e., how the sail performs in over-powered conditions. All other things being equal, for a given sail size, a cammed sail will have greater top end performance compared to a non-cammed sail. A cammed sail will also have greater bottom end performance, so probably should have said "ultimate top and bottom end performance."

sm

[/quote]
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you're at (not only location, but current state of mind and skill level), and what your priorities are.
If you want to be the fastest in the water, nothing beats a multi cammed sail, either full race slalom or freeride slalom.
If you're learning jibes and wave sailing, a non cam for sure.
For pure lowest wind planing, a multi cam, but depends on your jibe preference and how BIG do you want to rig for the given breeze.
For medium and high winds, depends on your preferences.
Me, shortboarding for over 30 years, and nailing all jibes for almost that long, just got a new favorite.....a 1996 NorthSpectro 5.5 3 cam. Fast, rangy, easy rotation, locked feel, lightweight, easy to rig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: