myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Problem with sheeting in after the sail flip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
johnl wrote:

Hmm, it's been overhand reach for a while now. Underhand reach was so 90's Smile

LOL. I usually go underhand, but sometimes find I've gone overhand, which I credit to nonplaning freestyle (ie do whatever it takes to keep the board and sail trimmed.)

jingebritsen makes a great suggestion vv duck jibes. Amongst its many beauties, the sail is caught BEFORE the board is headed straight downwind, so the return to powered sailing starts ASAP. If you want to plane out of a jibe it's practically cheating! Seriously though, it teaches the importance of the early sail flip...you can't wait until you've been carving for awhile.

PP, do you still sail front hand under? So 90's Smile I did that back when we were all on slalom gear. Now with wavesailing, freestyle and modern freeride gear it's both hands down which means the sail flip is overhanded not underhanded. Smile

I agree on the Duck jibe, BUT if he has sail fascination that Duck Jibe might not be a good idea. My problem learning it was watching the sail. I would just stare at it mid Duck which would take me out of my jibe and head me DDW. Not conducive to learning.....
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
PP, do you still sail front hand under? So 90's Smile I did that back when we were all on slalom gear. Now with wavesailing, freestyle and modern freeride gear it's both hands down which means the sail flip is overhanded not underhanded. Smile

That ... or reverse front grip to jibe, if that's the way you swing. Takes less than a second.

I change my grip orientation to suit my needs and comfort at the moment ... or the season. Whichever mast arm epicondyle -- lateral or medial -- is flaring up any given day or summer will determine which grip orientation I favor when that arm leads. That's far simpler, safer, and/or effective than the other dozen ineffective "cures" for tennis or golfer's elbow.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Now with wavesailing, freestyle and modern freeride gear it's both hands down which means the sail flip is overhanded not underhanded. Smile

I usually catch underhanded, particularly if I'm throwing up a wall of spray redlined at max speed, but at times I find I've gone overhand. I've never found myself going overhand on video...I'd like to, to see if I can tell what's made me choose it.

johnl wrote:
I agree on the Duck jibe, BUT if he has sail fascination that Duck Jibe might not be a good idea. My problem learning it was watching the sail. I would just stare at it mid Duck which would take me out of my jibe and head me DDW. Not conducive to learning.....

Yikes! I was taught (by Andy B) to stare into space during the sail throw. It worked the very first time, so I skipped the sail fascination part. I get sail fascinated in donkey jibes (so they often end up as duck 360's). I am a doofus.

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I change my grip orientation to suit my needs and comfort at the moment ... or the season. Whichever mast arm epicondyle -- lateral or medial -- is flaring up any given day or summer will determine which grip orientation I favor when that arm leads. That's far simpler, safer, and/or effective than the other dozen ineffective "cures" for tennis or golfer's elbow.

While I agree that changing grip position is great for the body, I also have to state that the use of a cheap "tennis elbow brace" works very well for me. I delayed using one for months since I tought it was bullshit. I was surprised by how fast it reduces the pain. I have since then used it again when I felt the pain coming back and it always helped to stop progression.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with counterforce bands is that they hide the problem rather than curing it. Relying on bandaids like those ... and cortisone and heat/cold and the other 8-10 attempted cures and preventatives ... rather than on eliminating the misuse that causes tendon problems is a good way to transform tendinitis (temporary inflammation) into tendinosis (chronic, often permanent, physical damage aka pathology).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: