myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Weed fin and water level check before driving. Reply with quote

Weed fin and water level check before driving.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ONF

It was around 222 today it looks like its going down

Larry White was up there today on a 4.0

Mediros launch is by the trees on the far side in this picture

IMAG0141.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2 MB
 Viewed:  13929 Time(s)

IMAG0141.jpg

Last edited by ctuna on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: San Luis Res Tips Reply with quote

Be sure your board and the straps are dry for the Zebra Mussel
check at the gate. Some people who have boards in Vans bypass the check.
Always take a weed fin! If the water level is low you can hit your fin
in the shallows.
If you come in at the main gate take the first dirt road on your right
and park between the double porta poty and the tree or at the tree along the shore toward the power towers. If you come in on the Los Banos side
you have several miles of dirt road to get to the Mederos camping ground side.
The tree and the porta poty are shown in the picture in this post.
The tree is front of the first power tower but its about 100 yards away
in reality.

IMAG0138.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  13916 Time(s)

IMAG0138.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Stick 12th Reply with quote

Pretty good at the Stick, powered up with a 5.0. Only three other people out at starting around 3:30 pm. Got bored after a while and closed the session ... it is really time to take out the slalom boards ... Rolling Eyes
alextarg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Snapped Mast at Coyote Reply with quote

Friday the 13th. Sailing on a sinker at the yellow buoy 2 miles offshore and "snap" the mast is in half. Full on flood tide. Swam for 2.5 hours and made landfall.

Lessons: Replace your mast more than every 7 years, and having used it as a pile driver, and lubing with WD-40 was probably a bad idea, too.

If you are swimming towards the shore way outside but level with the yacht harbor and making zero progress, there is probably an eddy pushing you out, so you need to counter intuitively swim downwind parallel to the shore to get to some different current to eventually get possibly swept to a less hopeless self-rescue situation. This amazingly got me a quarter mile closer in just a few minutes. Then I just slowly crept in.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Alex,
Glad you made it in.
Where did you make landfall?
What make of mast?
Where was the break in the mast?
I have had this happen, but luckily, much closer to shore. I was able to jury rig half the sail up and holding it in a position while I hung onto it and the board and have the wind help a little bit in getting me to shore.
alextarg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My downwind trip floated me past the rocky point, past the rocky yacht harbor, past the rebar/riprap breakwater (which I never new about before) and finally landed me at the boys and girls club athletic facility which luckily had car access 50 feet from my landing site.

This was a 100% carbon fatty 460cm from a non-brand name manufacturer (got it from a KA sail rep). I cannot complain as it took 7 seasons of sailing 6.6 - 7.5 3 cambered speed sails dragging my 6'4" 200 lb body out of the water. Plus it lived on top of my car 24/7 for all that time.

The break was 2' above the clamp, just above the two piece join. I had read that for a non-skinny mast you could put the mast in backward and put the skinny end of the top piece inside the bottom piece. Practically, there is no way to get that to work unless you have a knife handy and cut a slit near the top of the mast sleeve to feed the mast down. Obviously, you cannot stick the thick broken end all the way up into the mast cap. My knife was with me but buried in my PFD pouch, and I was not wanting to risk losing my PFD, radio, flares, etc. to try this plan which I highly doubted would give me enough power to waterstart the at best 12' mast.

Next time, if I carry a carabiner, I could insert the broken mast end into the base tube upside down, hook the carabiner into the broken end which would be the new tip, and tightly tension a piece of rope hooked between the carabiner and a couple of holes stabbed in the mast sleeve with rope tied through them. I could then cut away the useless top panels of the sail and butt drag in.

That would be much faster than swimming and avoid the major wetsuit rash as well.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the info.
And it sounds like you have a good self rescue plan for the next time.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Ti Sep 15th Reply with quote

Very nice day at TI, a bit underpowered with my softy Superfreak UL 4.7, should have just gone out with the Firelight 5.0 instead of checking out my old sail ...

Anyway: few people out, but a small crowd of sailboats coming back from the AC. Fun to zig zag among beer drinking, and clearly drunk, crews cheering the passing windsurfs Mad 2 solid hours of sailing in a beautiful late summer day.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Washoe Reply with quote

Washoe Sunday was sunny, warm, clear of smoke and 5.0 sailing all afternoon. About 15 windsurfers and 30 kiters. Very nice for fall. hoping for more.
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: stick found harness Reply with quote

for anyone who left a harness at candlestick today (sunday), i have it. please let me know, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 21 of 329

Jump to: