myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
carbon boom, needed or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarryW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is swing weight. There is a noticeable difference in the swing weight between a carbon and alum boom.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in what situation would the swing weight of a LONG boom, on a BIG sail, become an issue Garry? Isn't it the power and pull of the sail, especially in gusty near overpowering winds that causes the grief?

I don't consciously find boom weight a problem when normally powered with an 8 metre sail. The only time I curse dead weight (mast, sail boom) is when trying to keep balance on a bouncy sea, with next to no wind at all.

That's why I call the limit at 8 metre size on the longboard. I certainly wouldn't envy those struggling with 10 and 11 metre sails at such times, even if their booms ARE lightweight carbon! The extra length over my shorter heavier alloy boom should be much more of a handicap to them, swing and balance wise.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
joe_windsurfxxx wrote:

i have used booms too big and even too small just to get on the water
and i can assure you - there was always a smile on my face Very Happy
so, get out there n ride Smile

You kidding, having the boom stretched to the max has not stopped me from enjoying my new sail! To the credit of Chinook, the Pro Alloy actually feels very good fully extended in the moderate conditions I've sailed the 8.5 in so far.

If it is working fine them why get a new boom at all? Maybe wait until it is not working. Going to a larger aluminum oo carbon is going to gain weight anyway so the only issue for you will be cost & stiffness.

Coachg
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

If it is working fine them why get a new boom at all? Maybe wait until it is not working. Going to a larger aluminum oo carbon is going to gain weight anyway so the only issue for you will be cost & stiffness.

It's just a matter of trying to put myself in the best situation, common sense tells me it's not the best idea to use a boom fully extended on a regular basis, especially when I'll be pushing the high end of the wind range.
If money was not an issue I'd go with the carbon Maui Sails boom.
Unfortunately price is a factor so I'm going with the Chinook Pro Alloy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: