myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any one sailed out to watch the america's cup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Any one sailed out to watch the america's cup? Reply with quote

I am toying with the idea of trying to watch tomorrow's race by sailing out with my longboard. Anyone done it?

Is it possible to launch from chrissy, while the race is on, or do you need to come from the other side of the course?

Not sure about the crowds though.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course is off limits, from noon on, so you would have to tack along the shore or launch from close to the Coast Guard station.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mac

Looks like i will be youtubing it again

The coverage online has been pretty exciting. This is the most interest i have had in the america's cup since 1987.

~40knts on foils -- wow.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got it in the bag!!!!!!!

The trash bag.
Love the coverage tho.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:

~40knts on foils -- wow.

Just to continue on my peeve: Hydroptere goes 50 knots plus ... and Speed rocket 65 knots, both on foils ... the AC72 are occasionally peaking at 40, average is much lower around 25-30 knots, not much more than a pro sailor on a slalom board. Shocked

No way to get close to the bulky AC72 (they might ruin my pretty sail if we collide) but it was actually fun to play around with the little crowd of sailboats coming back from SF. They passed by TI 3 to 4pm ... many quite drunk and very excited to see windsurfers! Nice Very Happy
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvcali,
the other craft you mention (besides the AC72) are designed for one purpose and one purpose only - to go fast in a straight line.

the AC72's are designed to have good maneuverability (at least for a large cat) for the pre-start andfor tacking, to accelerate quickly (at the start and out of maneuvers) and to go well upwind, downwind and on a beam reach. the foiling jibes remind me of full planing jibes on a windsurfer.

so, you can't compare the straight line speed of a match racing craft like the AC72 with speed record craft. It's like comparing apples with houses.

I've been watching the coverage on NBC and NBCSN and watching youtube after the races for the postrace press conferences. it's been great. I really hope NZ wins. Team Oracle, to me, is not a US team, it's Team Ellison.

the closest I got to the AC was waaaaay back in 1974 when I saw Mariner being modified at the Derecktor shipyard in Mamaroneck, NY and then sailing with a friend up to Newport, RI and actually meeting Ted Turner and Dennis Conner (Turner's starting helmsman at the time) when Valiant tied up at the same dock that we were at. (My friend is now a pretty big time naval architect and his sister was either engaged or married to Britt Chance at the time who designed Mariner). those 12 meters sure were dinosaurs compared to today's boats.

but, windsurfing is it for me these days. I spent 42 years racing sailboats, trying to go 8 to 12 knots, and know I can hop on my board and easily go 3 to 4 times that speed. so much more fun.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my old windsurf buds, a navigator for Merlin (3 TransPac wins), gave up sailing completely by 1989, to concentrate on windsurfing.
Old Commodore for SanFraciscoYachtClub in Belvedere gave up boat sailing by 1984 to concentrate on windsurfing.
RichMiller started double foil windsurfing in the late '80's, and several racer's tried it, but found jibing too long (to stay up on the foil).
mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have Rich Miller's article. A few pretty good windsurfers tried it out--one of the Radkowski's and Bard Chrisman. It was much more mechanically challenging than the kite foils I've seen. It had a front and rear foil, big enough to add a fair amount of drag, and a Rube-Golberg device for turning that looked like, for me, a guarantee to put a hole in your board and maybe in your limbs. Rich never got it going as fast as a slalom board, but some of the windsurfers who tried it thought it had promise. The key is always getting rid of drag without losing control.

Saw a group of moths when I went out to watch the AC last Tuesday. I think we need to give them a lot of credit, and remember that evolution is the way in sailing gear much more often than revolution. The Oracle crew deserves credit for changing out their foils. They got faster and had better angle. Something we have known about fins/foils for some time. Probably too late, but it always nice to see design pushed.

By the way, the boats are about $10 million. Paying the crew it takes to keep them on the water is the other $90 million.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF someone offered me a ride on an AC72 I would take it for sure. But if it is bang for buck i will stick with windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I tried the double foil windsurfer of Rich's in the mid '90's, at PtIsabelle. Rich and Marlo would often come by the shop, BerkeleyBoardsports, to promote their product.
I could jibe it OK enough, but it was weird jibing, as you can bank it the wrong way to turn it, like a old longboard, or bank it the normal way, lean on your back foot, and plane jibe it. Tacks were easier than normal boards, due to underwater drag, and sail power and raking were needed, to some extent.
It was faster than Marlo and Rikh rode it, but getting the right combination of foil size to sail size and power was the problem.
Upwind was not a problem, nor was downwind. In between WAS harder, close or beam, as it didn't seem to lock in, and direction was tough.
Rich and Marlo used several different sized foils, and by the later '90's, seem to settle on a bigger foil in back, smaller lifter in front.
Shortsighted as I was, and am, I never saw potential in something that rides smooth, is technical, can't jump, and goes upwind and downwind pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: