myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sheared Euro pin -- how remove from extension?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Sheared Euro pin -- how remove from extension? Reply with quote

My euro pin base sheared off inside my Chinook extension at Waddell yesterday (fortunately while on inside). The pin is still lodged inside extension and there is nothing to grip onto to pull it out. Tried pushing button and tapping it out, but not budging (prolly too much sand in there).

Any tricks to remove? Can I take extension apart to get at it?

As aside, is this a common problem w/ euros? Metal fatigue?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap it out from the top?
dogalone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if it is not spinning, just drill it and either use an easy out, or put a large self tapping screw into it and pull it out w/ a pliers
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your failure question, it would be good to know whether you have a Chinook single piece SS universal or another brand like Streamlined where the North style pin is threaded in to the top component of the universal. I would think that the latter one is more likely to failure because the threaded nature of the pin.

With respect to removing the pin component from the mast base, you might try drilling a hole in the pin and tap in a thread. That way you could install a screw and establish pull point. No doubt though, it would take a lot of effort to drill a good hole in such stout material with a hand held drill.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the whole thing in a pot of very hot, almost boiling water, let it heat up for awhile, then try tapping it out again.
norcom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your euro-pin Chinook extension has a release button. You can take that button apart, there's just a screw or two holding the retention mechanism in place. You should be able to reach that screw from the bottom of the extension.

My guess is you have the screw-in type euro pin (6mm ?) on your U-joint and not the one piece Chinook full steel one. Which probably means the reason it's not popping out when you press the release button is because its bent inside the hole. It bent while it snapped. Depending on how much it's bent, you may not be able to get it out without damaging the inside.
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sheared Euro pin -- how remove from extension? Reply with quote

bob1 wrote:
As aside, is this a common problem w/ euros? Metal fatigue?

Yes, the screw on Euro pin design puts a lot of stress on the 6mm threaded stud going into a rubber joint. The height of the Euro pin gives it good leverage and there is no play in the connection. I prefer the US cup with the rubber joint. The little bit of wobble that you get as it wears helps to reduce the stresses on the bolt.

If you want to use a Euro pin base, the Chinook one piece design for the tendon joint is bomber, but then you lose the natural shock absorption properties of the rubber joint and risk damaging the deck/mast track on your board when landing a big jump. It's nice to have a little squish in the U-joint when the weight of the rig comes down hard on the mast foot.
bob1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses . . .

I contemporaneously emailed Chinook this weekend. They got back to me this am, and are warrantying the whole thing (sending ext w/ pin to them). Nice job Chinook -- have always been responsive and fair in my warranty experiences.

They did mention some recent production issues (metallurgic bubbling?) with a batch of ss euro pins. Apparently, they outsource the manufacture. So hopefully this is a one-time deal. Would definitely be no fun holding onto a detached rig on the outside of Waddell this fall.

Sail Safe.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilton08,

You might want to take a look at your rubber hourglass while sailing. The degree of deflection is amazing. After realizing what was actually going on, I made the change to tendon-type universals.

bob1,

So, I take it you were using Chinook's SS universal. Although I've never had a problem with any of my Chinook SS universals failing, if Chinook's subcontractor machined the base of the pin without a sufficient radius, it significantly weakens the part and leaves it open for structural failure through cracking and potential shearing.
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That problem was with the NEW Rubber Joint Europin version only - I have never seen one of the 1pc Tendon version break.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: