myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona One Fin Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tectonics has made me custom extra long Powerbox fins in the past, you just had to order it that way. They probably still will. Their fins are excellent, albeit expensive, but since I switched to MFC I can't hardly tell the difference, and wonder if it's worth it if you aren't a pro racer.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Their fins are excellent, albeit expensive, but since I switched to MFC I can't hardly tell the difference, and wonder if it's worth it if you aren't a pro racer.

I guess the fin could be more expensive than the board! Freerace fin will be good enough for me, I think the OP will feel the same.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this stage of my sailing career I don't see spending $300+ on a fin. The MFC looks like a good option. Need to try something so I can feel the difference from the stock fin. The windsurfing learning curve continues.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
At this stage of my sailing career I don't see spending $300+ on a fin. The MFC looks like a good option. Need to try something so I can feel the difference from the stock fin. The windsurfing learning curve continues.

I don't think any of the recommended fins are over $300? 200 at most I believe. None of the local sailors at your spot have a large PB fin you could try?
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the only local sailor. I am going to Dallas next month. Maybe someone will have one there. Some of the Techtonics approach $300.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the two course slalom fins I highlighted run from $195 to $235 depending on the length you might select. Still though, I have to admit they are on the expensive side, especially considering shipping costs (+$10-15). However, you get what you pay for in terms of quality and performance. I kind of look at fin purchases as good investments. My Spitfire is 15 years old, and the Mirage is probably 11-12 years old, and except for a some light wear, they are every bit as good as when I bought them.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about a post by someone calling themselves 'Sailboarder' on the Kona forum. I don't know if it is the same one here.

The stock Kona fin is 46 cm. Sailboarder suggests that putting a smaller fin on a board with the 7.4 Kona rig would improve its performance around a race course. I disagree. But, maybe. What am I missing?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the same Sailboarder.

I have trouble posting to the Kona forum these days and I lost my latest answer, redid the previous one several times. I think the issue is on my side.

I think a smaller fin will increase speed in low wind conditions. The daggerboard is providing most of the lift in laminar flow because it's thick. The fin is thin and looses laminar flow very quickly, creating mostly drag.

I often use a wave fin in low wind with my Kona (for the kids) and feel it is faster like that but never measured it.

In higher wind, well powered and on reaches, it is surely faster to have the smallest fin that gets you well on a plane. But maybe VMG would be hurt by a smaller fin?

Nevertheless, I think having fins size matched to the sail size will match the classes experience in all type of winds. Similar planing threshold and control issues, instead of relying on various conditions to get things even. I think the 8.2s are currently well matched to the fin, explaining why the 8.2 seem faster than both the 7.4 and 9.0s.

Once fin matching is achieved, it is quite possible that adjustment in the classes weight will still be required.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So a little background here. When racing KonaOne, 4 different Kona sails are used for adult males. The sail size that you use is based on your weight. The 7.4 is the smallest. The majority of women/girls also use the 7.4. Racing is pretty much triangle stuff. Wind range for racing is 5-25 kts. The board is sold with a 46 cm. fin, but the Kona 40 cm. is also class legal.

Sailboarder says that a fin smaller than 46 cm will increase the speed of the 7.4 sailors around the course. What do others think?

I've been to 3 Kona events with 50+ racers on the line, and never noticed any of the 7.4 sailors using the 40. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No replies, so I'll start with what I think about using a fin smaller than the stock 46 cm fin for racing the Kona:

1: A smaller fin wouldn't track as well upwind in centerboard mode. It would be harder to keep the board going straight.

2: Less lateral resistance upwind in centerboard mode upwind = more leeway.

3: It would take more wind to get the board on a plane with a smaller fin.

4. It would take more wind to transition to 'fin only' mode upwind.

What say everyone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: