myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
chinook carbon boom head squiking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slambo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: chinook carbon boom head squiking? Reply with quote

my fairly new and latest chinook carbon boom makes a squiky noise up at the head only on the starboard reach- like an old rocking chair squiking. I only hear it on the starboard side but not on the other. I wonder if the line which is not spectra is the reason? Structurally it seems fine and very nice and stiff. Anyone else know or hear what I am talking about
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: chinook carbon boom head squiking? Reply with quote

slambo wrote:
my fairly new and latest chinook carbon boom makes a squiky noise up at the head only on the starboard reach- like an old rocking chair squiking. I only hear it on the starboard side but not on the other. I wonder if the line which is not spectra is the reason? Structurally it seems fine and very nice and stiff. Anyone else know or hear what I am talking about

Is it the pro 1 boom? Mine does the seem thing but I figure its just the head swiveling a little due to the force.

slambo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its the pro-1 carbon. Just ran into another fellow with the same problem but have not heard that from the aluminum crowd. Strange- prob call chinook on this one.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, mine does it too. Sometimes it squeaks at the swivel point in the boom head, other times its the rubber cushion at the mast connection point that is squeaking as the mast flexes. Never been a problem thou.
Rob
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for mice inside your mast.
slambo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha thx spennie that was helpful
GarryW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two Pro-1 Carbon booms last month and both do it only on starboard. I tried tightening the head and that didn't help and I also tried over tightening when I clamped my boom to my mast but it still continues to creak.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creaking or untoward noises coming from your boom suggests movement and stress in the assembly. As many of us realize, aluminum doesn't always do well with this, so fatigue and eventual failure can result. Time will tell if the problem is serious enough to cause a catastrophe outcome.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two pro 1 carbon booms since they first came out and I've never heard a squeak or a chirp or any other noise from them.

however, I did have an off-brand non-monococque carbon boom that squeaked. Then, it broke between the harness lines and the clamp. luckily, it happened on the way out so I was able to turn around and sail in no problem.

I'd call chinook about any noises a boom makes, but that's just me.

have fun!!
slambo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran into a guy yesterday who just bought a new chinook carbon boom and he has the same noise. He switched his line out w/ spectra and initially it went away but then it came back after a few tacks. Unfortunately he had a worse problem, one of his boom arm clamp keep poping loose on the chop- he's taking his boom back.

I sent chinook an email- hope they will respond with a solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: