myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
AC Rocks!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goinoff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting factoid about the AC 72 boats, they go faster downwind than the wind speed..Routinely hitting 35 to 40 kts downwind in an 18 kts breeze..So, downwind on these boats is like going into the wind and they search for stronger puffs ahead of the boat.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goinoff wrote:
Interesting factoid about the AC 72 boats, they go faster downwind than the wind speed..Routinely hitting 35 to 40 kts downwind in an 18 kts breeze..So, downwind on these boats is like going into the wind and they search for stronger puffs ahead of the boat.

Don't forget the 72s have been going up to 30kts upwind on leg 3 against current!
goinoff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
goinoff wrote:

Don't forget the 72s have been going up to 30kts upwind on leg 3 against current!

Extremely cool!! Oracle wins 2 again today... 8 to 8 ... Next race decides it....Biggest comeback in the history of the event...
mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling upwind, Oracle cuts a 5 second deficit at the first mark to a 55 second victory! Faster boat, crew seems faster and more on top of it again. The last three starts have been fascinating!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goinoff wrote:
KevinDo wrote:
goinoff wrote:

Extremely cool!! Oracle wins 2 again today... 8 to 8 ... Next race decides it....Biggest comeback in the history of the event...

HOLY S*(*( watching the races at work I nearly had a heart attack. Especially the passing move on leg 3. Phenomenal! and the lead they gained afterwards!!! I was going to go sailing tomorrow for my day off but I'm staying home and watching!!!

sdreier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This America's Cup is awesome! These guys are foiling in 14 knots of wind. Heck, I can barely water start in that little of wind.

If I had a spare $10M, I think I've found a new sport to enjoy!
goinoff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_q1Tfb7maQ

Oracle wins the start in race 1 (14:20 mark) and stomps NZ into the ground.

Oracle passes NZ on the upwind leg in the second race at 1:21:00 mark and then wins the race by a ton..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: