myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2010 Starboard Quad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNuker wrote:
I'm not really talking about going fast either, it's just sailing with less drag which is easier on the arms, even with a harness.
But it's more than that. Drag also gives you a feeling of tripping over the front a bit when you let off on the sail. If I want to slow down I'll just sheet out a bit, I won't add more drag to the board to do that.

If you have a good board with a good rocker and outline etc, you don't need all the fins. The quads etc were not designed for the gorge. Sure they'll work and so will sailing on a door. But I do like to optimize my gear for gorge style conditions when I'm there and for me, it's the single fin that really does do it all.
ps just a tip for johnl, a friendly tip, you will ride the swells longer with less drag. Not sure how you think more drag is going to help that. and as far as the DIFFERENT conditions you speak of, aren't we talking about bump and jump? And a jibe is a jibe is a jibe, it doesn't matter where you are at, it's the same move. You still unhook and turn the board. Try that move dragging a 6 ft piece of rope off your back strap. Yes, it's exaggerated but try it and let me know what you feel after a while. Also let me know how many time you were tossed over the front. I still can't figure out how more fins will help anything in bump and jump. When people say they want to slow down when it's 30, I hear you and so do I at times, but I'll just sheet out. There are so many other ways to slow down, that's just the one I use.

Sorry SuperNuker, Just can't let this one go... you are making some blanket statements which just aren't true. The number of fins in a board is just one aspect of a boards character, & while significant is not going to make a board "draggy" nor is being single fin going to make a board quick. The rockerline, rail shape, outline & strap/fin/mast position all play a greater role in the overall performance. Multifin set-ups are just one of the tools a shaper can use to tune particular aspects of a design. But to answer your question seriously:

Here are some theoretical advantages: Basic generalization can be made that you have more leverage over the shallower depth of multiple fins. This can make it easier to initiate turns & keep the board in the water when over powered. This is a gross oversimplification of course - there are so many factors involved but the net result, all other things being equal is it takes less effort to make aggressive turn & you have less tendency to "tailwalk" when overpowered. Also, you can get all the advantages of carrying more fin area: upwind ability, grip, & control without the disadvantage of stiffer turns & excess lift. Which means you can usually carry a broader sail range with a single set up as well. Due to these factors some shapers have found the can shape a faster board & loosen it up with the fin configuration & many sailors tend to be able to carry more volume further increasing the range & versatility of the boards.
Of course even with some advantages there are always downsides. If you like to really load up the back foot & fly on the fin or get that extra boost in jumps like Dale Cook, IMO you may want to stick to singles. I actually think better sailors will appreciate multifins less as well as they can compensate with better technique & more powerful style. But for the rest of us, the latest crop of Quads, Tri's & Twins should not be overlooked as a good choice for powered up Gorge & Coastal sailing. Though these boards were not designed for Gorge sailing, most of them were designed for European wave conditions such as found on the PWA circuit. Locations such as Sylt & Pozo with choppy onshore conditions & high winds, often resemble a big day at the Wall more than down the line Hookipa. Point is they have to be versatile. So, don't knock it till you try it! Really best to try any board if possible before you plunk down that hard earned cash.

All this is my opinion of course, but in my 25+ years of "Research" I have never been more stoked to be sailing than I am now on my multifin board. And SuperNuker, you are welcome to try my board any time. I'll be the one with the Green 75ltr Fanatic Quad & BIG smile on my face!
SuperNuker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calebrandD, no problem on the opinion but if you read my last post( the one you quoted) I did mention rocker, outline etc are important aspects of a board, and they are the most important aspects of a board. You can't even begin to talk board design with out those factors in play.
I have multi fin boards (plural) as well, so I do know the advantages and disadvantages of them and my smile is as big as yours on the water, I promise... Very Happy (which is really all that matters right?) So I'm not knocking it before I try it as you stated. I am only saying that in my opinion a single is the best all around board for the gorge.(still just my opinion....but an experienced opinion) I also agree that a multi fin board is easier to initiate a turn (blanket statement for sure...) but there's more to a turn than the initiation and you have to decide for yourself what you want out of a turn and choose your ride accordingly.
I think the original poster wanted to use this in the gorge and my opinions were based on gorge style sailing. No the wall is not like any pwa side onshore event ( tell that to a pwa sailor and see what they say). It's quite a bit different actually. Anyone that thinks the wall is like an onshore pwa contest venue has never done one, I don't even think it resembles it at all. Ever done a pwa or any wave event in those conditions? I would be willing to step out on a limb and say for sure not, but guess who has...Wink
I may make some blanket statements and there are blanket statements to be made for sure in board design ie, more volume floats better etc. I am well aware that all aspects of a board must work together, I just don't spend enough time typing all the details out here (but I did mention it..Wink.
Staying upwind is not a factor in the gorge and I would bet I can stay upwind at least as well as someone on a multi fin wave style board in any conditions. (granted we are riding the same basic style of board other than the fin layout)
I don't mean to bash the multi fin boards at all. For specific conditions and certain aspects of sailing, they are really fun. Just saying that a single fin board does it all in the gorge. They actually do it all anywhere but no doubt a multi fin board will be a lot of fun to ride in certain conditions.
We could split hairs all day long with this discussion but ask your shapers and see what they say about fin layouts for the gorge. I lean towards the shapers that either are competent sailors themselves or have a number of current pros that ride their custom shapes.
I do enjoy all the discussions and opinions on this but do make sure you read my posts well enough before stating that I'm only looking at one aspect. I know much better than to say that.
I do have a lot of high end custom board experience with several of the best shapers. More than most for sure. So I do speak from experience on a high level. If I leave out some details in my posts that sound off base, please jump right in and correct me. I don't intend to cover all the details in a post here for sure. Just talking about multi fin boards in bump and jump conditions vs single fins. Blanket statement, well ok, but I can get a lot more detailed over a beer sometime. Very Happy
The OP was asking opinions so I was just giving mine. Granted most won't know the limitations as they are not at that level of sailing but there are some and I just thought I'd express what I think some of them are.
By the way, the Dale Cook statement, I think there's a guy named Whit that jumped higher than Dale on a multi fin board recently I hear. I guess it all works!
Damn, longest post I hope you'll ever see from me...love the discussion though.
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great reply. It was really your comment about drag that perhaps caused me to underestimate your knowledge & experience about boards since I have not found this to be the case at all. Regarding the PWA venue's I was mainly trying to show that a board which excelled in those type of conditions was likely more suitable to Gorge conditions than a board designed for down the line Hookipa etc. Though having sailed in onshore surf, I certainly don't claim to have first hand PWA competitive experience so defer to your knowledge there. I too had reservations about the original poster's choice of board though they had little to do with number of fins. I only posted as I had actually sailed the board & found it to be quite different to other Quads. In any case you are right about one thing, it's really all about fun regardless of how many fins underfoot. Would love to discuss some day over a beer - preferably after a good Sesh!
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t get too hung up on minute details of design. Try a bunch of boards, find one that feels great and then go out and sail, push your limits and get better. It`s not the board it`s the sailor. If I could use brand new gear and sail like I do now or use gear from 1996 for the rest of my career but could sail like those guys in RIP (which I just watched for about the 100th time) it wouldn`t be a tough decision.
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I didn't try the board, but, after reading this review on the 2010 Starboard Quad Convertible 76, I would not get the board:

http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/clone-quotes/2010/starboard-quad-convertible-76-2010.html

Also, I have a friend that bought a Startboard Quad 2010 at an incredible price in The Gorge, so I would assume it's the board we are talking about.

He did not like the board, as he found it pretty heavy underfoot. In fact, he blamed the board when he broke a foot, saying the board had to much inertia and didn't react fast enough on a huge gust.

2010 was pretty much the beginning of the Quad fin trend for production boards and many "Quad" shapes were basically single fin designs with quad fins trowed at them. If I was to get a quad wave board, I would get a more recent one, to make sure the glitches have been corrected.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw this thread

the 2010 was the first year Starboard quad, it has mini tuttle fins forwards, and they are the largepair of the 4. The bad thing about this design, and the only bad thing is the rear fin boxes are a Cobra made SURFINZ copy of FCS, and they come with FCS type, fins that from all the ones I have seen don't always fit so well, to many variables..but can be fixed to fit secure.

My East coast friend has a 81 or 86L, he removed the rears and installed mini tuttle boxes, this board is one of the very best I have had the pleasure to ride, it also has some very trick fins with toe in and twist.

of note this fin box setup in 2011 was replaced by SlotBox on all 4.

I think it I need the size, I would not hesitate to get one. The fin placement is one of the most real quad placements anywhere, close to the rail.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
It`s not the board it`s the sailor.

For the extreme stuff, yes. But for us ordinary sailors, boards designed to do what we want to do can make a huge difference. Why spend a season trying to force-fit a board designed to do "this" do "that" when right next to it is a board designed to do "that"?

I think, however, that you (accidentally?) addressed that when you said, "Try a bunch of boards, find one that feels great and then go out and sail, push your limits and get better". It probably "feels great" because it is designed to do your own "that" from the get-go. That's exactly how I discovered the style of board I vastly prefer ... hell, demand ... and why I snapped up so many more with similar capability. Why sacrifice a sailing style we love to suit a board we don't, assuming we've tried both?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Topic is 2010 Starboard Quad

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and how it suits our needs. I'll let Craig decide whether our first reaction to a board demo is a useful indicator of its suitability, in case he can hitch one reach out and back on a candidate.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 Starboard Quad Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I've read all the "Quads in the Gorge" threads, and even contirbuted to
a few, but in my quest for a new board, I'm wondering if anybody is
riding the 2010 Starboard Quad (the one with the large fins to the outside)
in Gorge like conditions, and what that is like. I can get a killer deal on
a new 76 ltr right now.

-Craig

iso bars

you have made 7 posts, and made mention to QUAD 2 times, Starboard Quad never.

and you address what suits "our" needs, but feel it necessary to bring up sails ETC.
bla bla bla, one time in band camp........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: