myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CRISSY FIELD-Comment period for new dog management plan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: CRISSY FIELD-Comment period for new dog management plan. Reply with quote

You can submit you comment s here:

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=55416

New York times article and video here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/us/san-francisco-debates-a-proposal-to-limit-where-dogs-can-roam.html?hp&_r=0

The plan: No dogs on east beach, leash in parking lot /picknick areas and promenade. Off leash west of east beach , past the drain pipe will be 3/4 mile open beach for off leash.

My opinion:

I thought the video pandered in favor of the dog peoples position and the park service spokesman came off very mild mannered and did not go into enough detail of the poor behavior and conflict of the dog people and there dogs.

No Dog people, it is not ok to let your dog shit on the beach and just kick sand over it; or to bag it and leave the bag; or just leave it un picked up because you know your dog did it and you are an asshole or you let your dog run all over un observed by you so you have no idea were it shit. It really is all about the shit. Oh then there are the dog bites, dogs biting horses, dog biting people. Poor birds being killed and chased. Personal property pooped and peed on and torn up sails and kites. Food woofed down from your BBQ. Dog people are clueless.

Last edited by Riptide on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide...you feel good now?
It seems like a leash law, or a "lease" as you put it, in the parking lot is smart, and no dogs on the East Beach is also a good idea....will pretty much eliminate the conflicts.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This battle has been going on for over 10 years and apparently the most media friendly part of this is Crissy Field portion of the Proposed Rules which will provide for a 3/4 mile long beach for off leash dogs and half of that large grassy field. Some of the dog folks are outraged about having to walk two minutes from the parking lot to the off leash beach rather than the current situation where they simply open the door to their car and their dog runs wherever.

I have watched some of the most awful behavior from these folks-not just how they let their animals out of control but the vitriol when they are questioned on this antisocial behavior. A few key facts to keep in mind as most journalists don't seem to do any fact checking.

1. Off leash dogs are NOT being banned from Crissy Field, Ocean Beach, or Fort Funston. In all locations, large areas are being dedicated to off leash dogs. The rules address the current situation where off leash dogs are everywhere and enforcement has been hampered by a court injunction.

2. There is a claim that only 1% of the current GGNRA is available for off leash dog walking. Please keep in mind that the vast majority of the area in the GGNRA is off trail in the Marin Headlands and not available to anyone. In almost 100% of the areas available to people in the SF portion of the GGNRA, there are currently off leash dogs.

3. If you read through the comments of the previous EIR, you will notice a lot of different viewpoints. Though the dog lobby often yells the loudest, there are others that want to use and enjoy these resources as well. They have made very logical and compelling arguments for some sort of balance between different users.

4. The dog lobby and particularly the SF ones have been very vocal and very organized. They show up en masse at public meetings shouting down those who disagree with them. The reach out to media outlets and lie through their teeth about the reality. They have sued the park service and forced them to go through this long onerous process to put a few sensible regulations in place.

So please comment. Please make sure your comment is well conceived and civil. I strongly believe that these urban parks need to accommodate off leash areas for dog users. Generally speaking, my dog owning friends seem to think that the proposed rules are actually pretty reasonable. My hope is that reason and logic will ultimately prevail.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Rigatoni. I think most individuals who casually bring their dogs to Crissy are quite responsible , and will have no issues with the new rules. I think dog walkers who are jamming as many pacific heights pooches into their 8 hour day, will be pissed...and those are the ones I think Riptide was venting on.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very thoughtful discussion. I have witnessed chaos at Crissy on my handful of visits. Many dogs doing whatever they please in the sand.

We have the same problem down here. Malibu city council finally approved a multi million dollar dog park, even though the hills have hundreds of miles of trails. Today for the most part, the park sits idle, and the dogs still run on the beaches and mountains without leashes. And, there is still a shortage of baseball and soccer field for the human children. What a world.

The dog park does have the most beautiful grass field, just the size of a soccer field. Kids are not allowed to play on it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: