myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's not to like about 4sq meter sailing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: What's not to like about 4sq meter sailing? Reply with quote

A week or so ago I was at Roosevelt with just a couple of people on the water. ~75f air and 73f water.... I was on a 4.7 sail, wind was steady and consistent. Not much swell at all but some cute little lumps. The wind was clocking around just a little but there were no holes or smoking gusts. I got to thinking "This is really fun...No lulls no slogging. Hey, try a cranking jibe, now try one with a huge radius, slap that little lip...weave around, go to the beach and move the fin some, sail a bit and try something else..." really fun! Sailed for about 3 1/2 hrs till my feet got raw and my knees got sore. Did a session on both of the boards I had along...waved often to the one kiter...
Hate to say it but I think I'll take that kind of sailing over most of the nasty gusty holey days I've had at Dougs lately, even those when I'm on a 3.xx sail and the swell is big....

There is something about steady consistent wind that lasts all day....Oh, every once in a while it is fun to hit the odd Epic day...like early this spring at Arlington when it was ON....but day in/day out chasing around for a few great waves and big gusts?....I think now I've come to appreciate 'smaller' stuff that lets you sail almost mindlessly all day....Hmm, maybe it's age...
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful what you say, or they'll make you move to South Padre to sail with the 70-year-olds!
starfish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think how crowded it would be if the wind was steady.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the flat flat water.

-Craig

spennie wrote:
Careful what you say, or they'll make you move to South Padre to sail with the 70-year-olds!
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cgoudie1"]And the flat flat water.

-Craig

spennie wrote:
[/quot

Been there, done that (well Corpus Christy/Bird Island)...and it was pretty fun but the mosquitos were awful! And....If I sailed then like I sail now I'd have had some epic days on the ocean side...There were plenty of days of excellent side-on at the jetty near Port-A...A lot warmer than our coast, that's for sure...Some shark-age, though...

Maybe I've just used up my share of patience over the years, standing waist-deep on my 70-liter board waiting for a puff...or rigging for 20mins of sailing... Now, I take along a big board and a 5meter sail and just go for it anyhow...it is all good.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhanson928: I know how you feel --- my sails go up to 8.2.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaaaat's riight ... rub it in, just 'cause I can't get back on the river for another year or so. You're referring to last Friday afternoon, which happy (for me) and sad (for everyone else) to say, was the first sustained WS-able wind there since my knee blew up in early July. Almost three straight dead months there is all but uheard of. Glad to hear the water's still at its peak temp; I was comfortable in board shorts until the very last day of Sept a year or two ago. I'm always amazed how many locals (and visitors without kids of school age) quit sailing because it's after Labor Day.
philodog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Don, now that you appreciate flat water it`s time to try some freestyle!
dhanson928

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="philodog"]Well Don, now that you appreciate flat water it`s time to try some freestyle![/quote

No no.. I don't see any point in trying to sail backwards or get around on the wrong side of the rig or whatever..I am not yet bored with windsurfing. I do admire the sailors who've figured out all those Freestyle convolutions and procedures, they've devoted a lot of time to learning all that stuff. Heck, I don't even know what they call all those gyrations nor do I need to know. Not that interested, thanks
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the freestyle suggestion.

Barely planing 6.0 and my Skate 109 is enough to attempt Vulcans and Flakas. Puts the fun back into otherwise really boring conditions. My threshold for a good time went from 25 knots average down to just gimmie a steady 18 and I'll have a blast. In my 40s I've picked up forwards on both reaches, tacks, heli tacks, upwind 360s, and am close on Vulcans (and frickin nowhere on flakas, frustrating!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing around with this stuff in the Roosevelt lagoon when it's head-high rollers on the Arlington side, but having the fun start in the high teens has given me something fun to do 100 times a year, instead of 25.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: