myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella Recreational Remediation Plan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Recreational Remediation Plan Reply with quote

Call for Action!!!
Regarding the Recreational Remediation Plan currently being formulated by the Corps of Engineers, to address changes to the recreational use areas during the Lake Isabella dam repair period.
I had submitted a rather lofty proposal - can't hurt to aim high, right? - which was surprisingly well received. I proposed a non-motorized area in the Northern third of the AuDamRec area, much like the windsurfing area at Lopez: anyone can play, but motorized is limited to 5mph, so it is not attractive to them. Such 5mph stretch of water might be bordered by a "quiet campground", with generators limited to something like 10am to noon or somesuch, music "not to be audible outside one's campsite" - that sort of thing.
Today, I spoke in detail with Hunter Merritt of the Corps, who is in charge of drafting this plan. We agreed on a lot more than I had dared hope, and he seems generally in favor of the concept.
What he urged was that I find a lot of like-minded folks, such as you guys, to write in and state that they would love a segregated scheme as I proposed.

Send your letters to
Hunter Merritt
US Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District
1325 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
or email him at <Hunter.Merritt@usace.army.mil>

Just what did I propose??? see here for the document, including some nifty photos from the olden days: http://www.boardlady.com/Recreational-Remediation.htm

thanks for your help!
Eva
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lake Isabella Recreational Remediation Plan Reply with quote

superkraut wrote:
Call for Action!!!
Regarding the Recreational Remediation Plan currently being formulated by the Corps of Engineers, to address changes to the recreational use areas during the Lake Isabella dam repair period.
I had submitted a rather lofty proposal - can't hurt to aim high, right? - which was surprisingly well received. I proposed a non-motorized area in the Northern third of the AuDamRec area, much like the windsurfing area at Lopez: anyone can play, but motorized is limited to 5mph, so it is not attractive to them. Such 5mph stretch of water might be bordered by a "quiet campground", with generators limited to something like 10am to noon or somesuch, music "not to be audible outside one's campsite" - that sort of thing.
Today, I spoke in detail with Hunter Merritt of the Corps, who is in charge of drafting this plan. We agreed on a lot more than I had dared hope, and he seems generally in favor of the concept.
What he urged was that I find a lot of like-minded folks, such as you guys, to write in and state that they would love a segregated scheme as I proposed.

Send your letters to
Hunter Merritt
US Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District
1325 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
or email him at <Hunter.Merritt@usace.army.mil>

Just what did I propose??? see here for the document, including some nifty photos from the olden days: http://www.boardlady.com/Recreational-Remediation.htm

thanks for your help!
Eva

Nice Job Eva!!!!
The ideas are logical and simple.
Thank you for your tenacity and effort.

Kelly
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eva! I've sent an email to Mr. Merritt supporting your proposal.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent presentation Eva, very well thought out with some very good ideas. Email sent in support.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick response from US Army Corps of Engineers:

Thank you for expressing your concerns and proposing management measures to handle different types of use at Isabella Lake.

As I mentioned to another proponent of Ms. Hollman's plan who emailed me this week, we (the Corps) are including all options, both structural (e.g. bathrooms, parking lots) and non-structural management measures, in the Recreation Plan. The choice to implement any management changes would likely fall squarely on the Forest Service, as they are the recreation managers of the lake (we only run the dams for flood management). I am forwarding this message along to Tricia Maki, who is the USFS recreation officer at the lake, and is aware of the recreation needs and issues, and will be a part of the decision to make any changes in recreation management there.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns that relate to the effects of the Isabella Lake DSM Project, and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Respectfully,

HM
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. So, in case Hunter Merritt gets tired of forwarding your emails, let's all copy our Kern Valley Forest Service head ranger, Al Watson, at awwatson@fs.fed.us

Last edited by superkraut on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been to Isabella for many years for the above reasons. In one weekend I experienced.

- A JetSki doing donuts around a SUP'er just to make him fall off
- Very,very loud ski boat doing multiple passes (not pulling skiers) about 20 feet off the shore of the ghetto at 6:30am deliberately to piss-off the windsurf crowd.
- Car full of drunken Hispanics playing 'music' at max decibels all evening long

It sucked. They badly need to separate the two uses of the Lake.
superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
I've not been to Isabella for many years for the above reasons. In one weekend I experienced.

- Very,very loud ski boat doing multiple passes (not pulling skiers) about 20 feet off the shore of the ghetto at 6:30am deliberately to piss-off the windsurf crowd.
- Car full of drunken Hispanics playing 'music' at max decibels all evening long

It sucked. They badly need to separate the two uses of the Lake.

please, Andrew, send this to Hunter Merritt and Al Watson! this is exactly what we need!!!
Hunter.Merritt@usace.army.mil
awwatson@fs.fed.us
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a hero, Eva!

Done!: Email sent to Mr. Merritt & Mr. Watson
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:

Yep, when I was learning to SUP at Lake Isabella I had a couple of 15 year olds on a jetski do that to me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: