myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DO NOT LAND FLAT or straight legged. ACL at risk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, I'm sorry for your loss. Most of the time I wish my performance as a windsurfer was much better. There are a few times like this one when I'm glad I'm a low performance windsurfer, a flat water sailor who has no landing worries because I haven't jumped. For me, the attractions of being on the cutting edge are greatly reduced by knowing when a knife is being sharpened the cutting edge gets stropped off.

My your recovery be swift and as complete as possible.
sav1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: I land flat Reply with quote

I land flat but the boards break instead of my legs. The same would happen to Chuck Norris. Surprised
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: I land flat Reply with quote

Chuck is getting old, and you will too. ;*) Listen to Mike and don't land flat.

-Craig

sav1 wrote:
I land flat but the boards break instead of my legs. The same would happen to Chuck Norris. Surprised
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget ... I landed tail first, as intended, on a board with a relatively narrow tail. The whole problem was the straight knees.

I was surprised to find no damage to the involved heel area of the board. It was well padded from the factory, and I had put extra pads right beneath my heels expressly for that purpose, but the forces that wiped out my knee still went into those pads.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about your injuries isobars. my wife had ACL surgery using a cadaver acl and it took her almost a year to be full performance on the tennis courts. I wish you the best.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The docs so far suggest that I may wait until next season to try the knee out on the water and see if it works before opting for surgery. I doubt that's going to happen, since surgery then ... even if trying it out didn't injure it further ... would cost me another season. When those docs ask me how important WSing is to me, I say, "I chose it over my last chance at curing my cancer." THAT shuts 'em up!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cold clean this draft up, but it wold take too9 much time and woikd conceal one imoact of the No Fear approach to recrewaqrtin. This way is Mofre enciurageenrt5 to be careful wth your kneees on the wtaer. I‘ve been on oxycodrone (50% ovedose by prescrtiton) or hydtocodone plus muscle relaxers or anti-nausea meds 24/7 since surgery lasst week, keping my knee evated abover my heart and ised for 16 hours a day, sleeping 12 hours a day wrapped in fleese beneath half a dozen blamkers and quilts to minijmize the hypotjermia due to keping my immoblized post-op leg at 34 degrees 1/3 og he time, doing rehab exercises 8 hours per day at home plus more at PT, , and trying to understand how to change chanels from from my recliner (foer hours after each oxy, I can’t fo0llw the plot of a sitcom). I ca’t even speell crutcthes, let alone operate them; I’m in a walker when I HAVE to change locations, and I noften have to stop to thinjk carefully how to use the walker. trying to correct the tying in this paragtraph ewould take me hjalf an hur I cant spare. Right now I have a cvery hard time staying cleasr-headsed lolng enough to finsch a meal. My email went beely up >rwo weeks ago and I cn’t thhnk or speak cxlaarly enough to c alll Apple Care and have then fix it.

In csae you thjnk the ezcess oxy id su to an low opain threswhld you may no have,b guess afgain. I useed no drugs after the injhury, yet was wawlking on that toe paihn free twoi days latr and waliing nornally pain-frer within 10-14 days. My docs were stunned when they comnpared my MRI to my lack of oain. Most of you guuys are in for a woprld of hust with comparable injurtiess, niot to metnion the year og hehab Istill face,

You'll have to fix the tyoung yourself, I doh't hazve tijme.
joew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso has a baby buzz on, never thought i'd see the day.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be forewarned, guys: The pain of rehab exceeds all but the very worst two or three minutes of attempted walking on the knee the day I injured it and the day after surgery, and the rehab will go on for many hours per day for weeks to months. I'm typing rather than rehabbing at the moment for one specific reason: I'm literally afraid to go into the next room and repeat my exercises, especially after my PT showed me very directly today how much pain is necessary to achieve a good long term outcome. I can easily see why so many people have permanent pain and disability after even lesser knee injuries like a simple ACL replacement: their physical therapy and/or their will power were not up to par.

I have the right PT; I hope to hell I have what it takes to do the rehab properly. He says that pro athletes sometimes have their legs strapped down to a table, with other straps used to ratchet up the stretching forces necessary for complete recovery. Crap: I thought rehab after a rotator cuff tear and frozen shoulder hurt.

This lends new impetus to the old saw, "Bend Ze Knees". Believe it.
benspikey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to focus on recovery. For me that required acl repair surgury and a lot of couch time. Three years later rehab rehab rehab I can run, bike, lots of biking, windsurf, ski.. Windsurfing big board very light wind was very useful in recovery along with swimming. You have to get it repaired or you will always have a loose knee.. The surgery reduces the looseness. Best wish it sucks but with right attitude you can regain you ability, I did.. You suffered serious injury do not mitigate this. Eat we'll, sleep well and rehab.. Best luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: