myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
35 MPH on a Kona One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for front arm, just hold the boom further back away from the mast and push out, yes it makes it faster.

Roger did 34.23kt, so something like just over 39mph not 34mph. It is the flat water that makes it possible, small fin or not.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger who did 34 kts on what?

Beware of max speed numbers on gps's. Bad, lower quality gps's are spikey, which means that the crappier your gps is, the more likely you'll get a big max speed.

gps-speedsurfing uses proven gps's. The program it uses is heavily filtered to eliminate spikes. Speed has to ramp up, or it will throw the number out.

It is WAY harder to get big numbers when you have to use the gps-speedsurfing stuff.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger van Tongeren did 34 kts. on a kona one using a Garmin Geko 201.

See link for details in first post of thread. He sailed 109 km., or 67 miles with an average speed of better than 30 kts.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Roger who did 34 kts on what?

Beware of max speed numbers on gps's. Bad, lower quality gps's are spikey, which means that the crappier your gps is, the more likely you'll get a big max speed.

gps-speedsurfing uses proven gps's. The program it uses is heavily filtered to eliminate spikes. Speed has to ramp up, or it will throw the number out.

It is WAY harder to get big numbers when you have to use the gps-speedsurfing stuff.

I use a GT-31/2 (2 31s data inputted into GPSResults...)

The Geko and FT201s were the big gps's back in the day when that guy did that speed on his Kona. His 10sec, 100m, and 250m all seem to support the 34kts max 2 sec.
outhaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
outhaul wrote:
D'oh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6GuEswXOXo

When I was in the military, the higher ups would always play something similar to that.... My last name sounds similar... Very Happy

Ha! I'm glad you have a great sense of humor although I was not trying to reference your name, just my redundant post. Looking forward to hearing about that speedy SUP.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the motivation to play with a gps on the KonaOne. This weekend, 28.2 mph measured with a GT-31. 7.4 Kona rig full forward with the stock fin. The number kinda surprised me, since I know it will probably be faster with a different set-up. So 30mph should be doable at my weight (140).
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe,

How much wind was required?

My personal best are unrecorded, but repeated maybe 5-6 times. In 28-30 kts gusts (windmeter close-by), perfectly flat water with an Ezzy 7.5 and 46 stock fin. I'm 220 pounds and the fin was lifting me out of the water. Anyone has a clue about the speed I was going?
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
konajoe,

How much wind was required?

My personal best are unrecorded, but repeated maybe 5-6 times. In 28-30 kts gusts (windmeter close-by), perfectly flat water with an Ezzy 7.5 and 46 stock fin. I'm 220 pounds and the fin was lifting me out of the water. Anyone has a clue about the speed I was going?

Can't really judge by those variables... Sad Should be noted though that what feels fast usually doesn't translate to fast numbers on the gps!

-Kevin

spennie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder: It's a wild guess, of course, but I weigh 210 and speedsail my Kona One, so it's an educated guess: 28-32 mph. Change that monster fin down to a 36cm. racing fin to go faster.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% with KevinDo on this.

The wind was 16 G 22 mph the day I went. My average speed was nowhere near the max.

Using a gps with the gps-speedsurfing software can be pretty fun and educational for speed junkies. You can plot your data and see exactly where and when you get big speeds. It's also nice to be able to wear the gps so that you can see your numbers while you're sailing. If you have to put the gps in your pocket and if you don't have the plotting software, you'll have to guess where and when you were going fast. And your guess will most likely be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: