myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit visibility vs. Drysuit gaskets.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure of your question, you live in Colorado, and are concerned about sharks?

But if it's the visibility you're after, buy a good ol' black wetsuit, and then wear a colorful rash guard over the top of it.
That would serve two purposes, one, visibility, and two, it really helps preserving your wetsuit from getting fried by the sun, the suit will last much longer. This method is becoming very popular for the wetsuit preservation mostly, but we go black on black mostly, to hell with the sharks.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chas5131 wrote:
I like the sequins idea.
May I could simply pull a sequined vest and banana hammock over the suit.

the kiteforums are over there. Arrow http://new.ikitesurf.com/forums/index.php

willysp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost one year ago I was windsurfing at kanaha beach the day before a shark attacked a Paddle boarder in the same spot I sailed...
I think next time I windsurf on the ocean I could use this one:

http://designtaxi.com/news/359627/Australian-Company-Designs-Anti-Shark-Wetsuit/

I think people will take pics of me and not because I'm an awesome rider haha

Willy
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
sharks look for prey with any features that separate them from the pack, a possible sign that the animal has an ... abnormality

Does that include wearing yer boardies over yer wetsuit? Smile

Or a batter's helmet? Sad
chas5131

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
To cut a few pages to one sentence, Goretex dry suits get mostly phenomenal reviews. The seals aren't the leak problem; their disclaimer is due to a harness impacting moisture permeability where it contacts the suit, after years of heavy use. Buy a Kokotat (with REI's 20% off coupon, I suggest), put it on, burp it, and sail one reach. If you then tell us if you've ever experienced comparable freedom of motion or lightness of being in any kind of fullsuit, you'll be in a small minority of new K owners. It really is like sailing in pajamas, except that you stay dry and you stay warm all day even standing around on a chilly shore. Maintain it properly, save it for colder sailing, and it will serve you well for years.

Otherwise, wear a bright rash guard over your dark, dreary, boring, heavy, clammy, leaky neoprene suit and put on insulated coveralls when on shore in chilly weather.

Thanks, thats sold one Kokatat drysuit.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kokatat suit is great, without a doubt. Trying to go for a cheap alternative sometimes works, but often ends up with disappointment. My (cheap) baggy drysuit has been reserved for standup paddling when it gets cold.

As isobars pointed out, one of the big advantages of baggy drysuits is the freedom of movement. You can get the same in a wetsuit that is designed to be loose fitting. Most wetsuits are not, and simply buying a bigger suit may not work at all; but the Ianovated suit is designed to be loose fitting. That was probably done so that the hand warming tubes can fit in without a problem, but it gives the same great freedom of movement. It still fits tighter than a drysuit, so swimming is no problem, and you get the big benefit that you can sail with open-palm mitts all winter long.

If you ever sail waves or have problems with cold hands or sore forearms in the winter, you should definitely consider the Ianovated suit. I'm actually looking forward to cooler weather so I can wear mine again.
chas5131

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we have sharks in Colorado.

Avalanche Sharks
http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2013/10/avalanche-sharks-trailer

I travel. Windsurfing in Colorado is not completely satisfying.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalance sharks hahahaha - I love that the sheriff has to get help from a "motley crew" of snowboarders, my thoughts exactly.

the water shark movies should have a "motley crew" of kiteboarders to help get rid of the sharks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: