myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Sail worth fixing. Also, recommend new sail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrockwater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Is Sail worth fixing. Also, recommend new sail? Reply with quote

So on my last run of the day, I casually fell onto my sail and my harness hook started a rip in the mylar that immediately extended across the entire width of the sail! It is a Neil Pryde 6.7 RAF Jet. Probably 8 or 9 years old. Its been a good sail and my primary sail. So i guess its probably not worth try to have it repaired correct? Its difficult to tell but I think the edges of the fabric are fraying and the mylar seems almost to be 'drying' out and getting brittle. So in the garbage it goes? Maybe i can re-purpose it and create a handbag?

So, I need a new go-to sail in the 6.5-6.7 size range. I sail on Long Island sound in various degrees of chop on medium to large boards. I think i lean towards highly agile sails with flat profiles. That would be more important to me than deep-shaped, pre-curved sail shapes. I have a 5.8 Wave Panther that has a pronounced curved shape and honestly its not my favorite. That seems to mean that I like freeride to wave-style sails. I have a fibarspar 460 25/25 Mast and a NeilPRyde 430 21 IMCS mast.

I really have no way to try sails so i have to take the plunge solely on specs, price and advice.

Can anyone try and recommend some ideas on what to get? What about Sailworks? They seem to sell direct. Neil PRyde? GT?

TIA.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is Sail worth fixing. Also, recommend new sail? Reply with quote

A Sailworks Retro 6.5 would be a killer sail for your conditions, but since
you mentioned a flatter profile (like a wave sail). you might consider
a Northwave 511 in the 6.7 size. It's a slalom sail, but it does run
wiith a flatter profile than most slalom sails (and definitely flatter than
a Wave Panther). I was riding my Northwave 6.7 (which is the precursor
to the 511), yesterday and I owned the Hatchery! The Retro
pulls harder (for reference).

-Craig

windrockwater wrote:
So on my last run of the day, I casually fell onto my sail and my harness hook started a rip in the mylar that immediately extended across the entire width of the sail! It is a Neil Pryde 6.7 RAF Jet. Probably 8 or 9 years old. Its been a good sail and my primary sail. So i guess its probably not worth try to have it repaired correct? Its difficult to tell but I think the edges of the fabric are fraying and the mylar seems almost to be 'drying' out and getting brittle. So in the garbage it goes? Maybe i can re-purpose it and create a handbag?

So, I need a new go-to sail in the 6.5-6.7 size range. I sail on Long Island sound in various degrees of chop on medium to large boards. I think i lean towards highly agile sails with flat profiles. That would be more important to me than deep-shaped, pre-curved sail shapes. I have a 5.8 Wave Panther that has a pronounced curved shape and honestly its not my favorite. That seems to mean that I like freeride to wave-style sails. I have a fibarspar 460 25/25 Mast and a NeilPRyde 430 21 IMCS mast.

I really have no way to try sails so i have to take the plunge solely on specs, price and advice.

Can anyone try and recommend some ideas on what to get? What about Sailworks? They seem to sell direct. Neil PRyde? GT?

TIA.
fox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is Sail worth fixing. Also, recommend new sail? Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
you might consider a Northwave 511 in the 6.7 size

I second that recommendation, and Northwave sells direct too.
braden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am such a klutz that I ripped several sails. I have been buying Ezzys as they seem sturdier, and I haven't had to visit the repair shop. Except when the mice ate holes in my 9.5, but that's another story.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not repair the Jet

My bias is towards Ezzy, Hot Sails Maui, Northwave Sailworks Naish.

in that order

IMO from a consumer standpoint Ezzy offers a brilliant value for $$ spent,
strong, light and very durable.

Don't see any real plus for selling direct, but whatever floats yer boat

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windrockwater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding my 5.8 Wave Panther. It seems so well made. Almost overdesigned. But honestly I just keep struggling with the rigging! It just does not seem to get the correct shape and does not want to flip easily (which turns me off to a pre-shaped sail profile). I try different levels of downhaul and outhaul (all according to the directions and youtube instructional videos). But something is just not right. The lower battens almost have an S shape (the ends of the lower battens closest to the mast lean against the mast opposite of the bow in the sail). I don't know if that makes sense. I am using a NP 430 constant curve mast with 21 IMCS which seems appropriate.

I rarely need a sail this small but would still like to think I can rig it correctly if I do need it. I have had so many crappy sails over the years that I cannot stand sails that have trouble rigging and require 'popping' into place after tacking. I figure a flat sail shape (that I see so many other sailors using) would help me avoid the problem altogether. I am sure it's 'user error' on my part but I really want trouble free rigging and sail shape! If i can figure out what I am doing wrong on the Ezzy than maybe I would re-consider my thinking.

Any advice?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will depend somewhat on the year, my best advise is to ask David

david@ezzy.com

please note BEST advise. let him know what mast you are using and the character it is displaying

this chart reflects , it is not written in stone and is a guide from my perspective.

http://www.unifiber.net/2013/mast-selector

notice the NP are pretty soft top. Without looking at it, my thoughts are the NP is too soft in the top, the Ezzy needs a firmed top, IMO.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation to get a hold of David Ezzy and ask him, or submit a question through their website, you will get a good answer to your dilemma.

Down here on LI, it seems like the majority of sailors I know use Ezzy sails and they are universally loved. However, everyone that I know uses the Ezzy masts with them. so, based on that, I would say you have a mast compatibility problem, but best to check with the Ezzy people.

I went to Ezzy's after having trouble with a couple of other sail companies sails when rigging. The Ezzy guides make rigging and tuning so easy. I only wish they had harness lines guides,but it's not that hard to dial in harness line position. (North sails have them but I wanted the durability that Ezzy's offer and I liked the way they looked based on looking at other people's sails - that's not to say North sails aren't great, they are)
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem with the Ezzy 5.8 is with the mast you are trying to use it on . Neil Pryde masts are Not compatable with Ezzy sails. With the right mast those sails,[Ezzy] are fantastic with none of the problems you mention.

I have used Ezzy's on old pre quick tip fiberspar masts, and thought they worked ok, but the lowest batten was always over rotated. Too stiff base with too soft top will do that. Later quick tip masts are much better.

I now have new Ezzy masts. What a difference. All of the battens should rest behind the mast when properly rigged. Rotation is effortless.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Aerotech Phantom 6.8 for that size range. It's a wave sail designed to work for sporty freeriding, as well. The profile isn't too deep, but it has good stable power and a nice maneuverable feel. Rigs on either a 430 or a 460.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: