myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Travel the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keycocker,
Is the wave sailing there side off, side, on?

I got my first taste of side off this weekend....I'm hooked!
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The island is a dot in the ocean surrounded by a coral reef on the deep blue side.
Side off is dangerous anywhere in the world that there isn't good rescue. When things go bad on the inside you are blown into the set and then out to sea, hopefully with your gear.
Last in was without gear in my case. The rescue boat couldn't get through the break. No more offshore for us.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel the world Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Folks have been asking about going elsewhere to sail.
We find that we spend about $100 day traveling the world.
With about $35K you can spend a whole year on a round the world trip sailing, if you live as we do.
Europe and Africa are more. Asian costs less, like Thailandand Bali.
When you spend so much time on the road you will find friends as you go. It is easiest to hang with the others on the road.
Those who travel stratify into three groups.Tourists, travelers and corporate types are the most used names. Everybody is a tourist at first , but as you start hanging with locals and avoiding tour buses many folks slid without knowing into the Travellors camp.
The lowest social class put there are corporate types. They are always frightened and mostly stay in isolation from the experiences the world offers.

The suits are the crowd who is out there because their job required it. Most of them lack the sense of adventure shared by those who came on their own. They walk around in suits or sports clothes that cost more than a local makes in a year. You see them sitting in cafes sneering at all the low class people like me and the others on the road.
Locals detest them but hide it because they need the money.
They refer to expats and long time Travellors as "tourists"and are proud of the expertise they have gained by being in country a whole month, chatting with other isolated frightened guys at the office.
When you hear the expression "Spoken like a true tourist" you are listening to one of these arrogant types.

wow, a strange post. your thesis here is so twisted..

I can tell you when I was traveling for company business what I liked so much about it was getting to know the people I was working with. If they liked you the world of travel was simple on weekends. For instance when I was in Germany, would go out to some incredible locals bars on weeknights were the people were just great, they would ask me what I wanted to see and my canned response was something of nature, something old and something new. So they would take me to some awesome places. Interesting in Germany the something new was a hospital that was just constructed. It really was amazing.

Same with France, Italy, Holland Belgium, Switzerland, China, russia, costa rica, Mexico, Japan, Thailand, Singapore and so on. It Taiwan, they knew I was a windsurfer so they found a place where the locals go and even took me there and a windsurfer there even handed his gear over to me. That was a day after they took me to the Taiwanese museum that was incredible. He even explained to me how you can go for about 30 or was it 60 years and never see all the same. And got the history of how this is one of the big issues with mainland China, Chung Kai Sheck when he left the mainland he took with him the huge collection of art treasures and Mainland wants it back.

in Italy going to their homes the first week I met them to eat fresh Pesto from the Genoa area. just incredible...

your thesis here is so twisted..

I find that when I am off on my own with lots of time I enjoy too. But there is something about having a common interest with being able to trust the person you can see things in some cases you never could without living there a year or so. I still have some rubies and sapphires from Thailand that I bought in some remote areas and had them appraised and would not have done that if a business person had not been taking me to his friends. in a remote area of Thailand. We went up to Burma too. There is no way I would have bought ruby's and Sapphires from meeting some people on the side of the street. Co-incidentally looked them up a few days ago, they are worth about 4 times what I paid for them now. got them at half the price when I bought them, so not a great investment but they have some sentimental value.

One of those business people is 20 years later still a great friend.

mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja--lay off KC. He is a pretty savvy and smart poster, moderate and not crazy. He says things that should make everyone think.

Even those of us who would tend to agree with you at times are put off by your going too far. Leave it be.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Baja--lay off KC. He is a pretty savvy and smart poster, moderate and not crazy. He says things that should make everyone think.

Even those of us who would tend to agree with you at times are put off by your going too far. Leave it be.
Seems he needed some friendly advice from friends of his on the media thread when he kept going with his antics. If he wants to disrupt threads with his game he should be ready to take it right back. As you can see I have no problem with dishing right back, generally I only have to do it to right wingers, he is the first liberal I have had to give a taste of their own medicine.

Lay off, sure. You were welcome to have PMed me and discuss. Obviously you,mac get the benefit of the doubt anytime. consider this done.

nw30

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying this. Very Happy
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in an insult match with Gybe at the time. He made a big deal out of being a corporate type who looked down on folks like me so I wrote him a little poke using his words.
I may have hurt his feelings. Too close to the bone.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KC

When is your best season? I am looking for a yearly destination that is cheap for November and December (retirement strategy). Now, I spend Dec in Baja, but Nov is hit or miss. Still gotta ski.

Wife and I both WS and kite. I am O.K in waves on the Wsurfer and getting pretty good on a kite...my wife likes flat water or swell. Is Caye Caulker worth checking out?
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reef all down one side of the country with a lagoon between the reef and mainland. The island is about a mile inside the reef in that lagoon.

On the reef side of the island is bump and jump a mile wide and hundred miles long.
On the mainland side of the island is a large smooth water area free of coral, ideal for kiting.
No waves. Clear clean water full of sea life.
You can walk with your gear rigged from one side to the other
To sail waves you go in the channels in the reef or outside in the Blue.
We never sailed a wave for the first ten years.
It is ideal for learning.
You go from calm flat water behind the reef and sail into a bomber, get washed out into calm protected water, and circle back for another shot at it.
Most sailors keep their sails rigged near the sea all the time they are on the island.
No cars except a handful of working trucks to haul stuff.
You move by bike or golf cart.
Dec. to March is the best season.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KC...what is the usual rig? I'm about 165 lb (lean..a secretary once said so)

Is November any good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: