myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new fin for fanatic shark135lt 2010
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spigonico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: new fin for fanatic shark135lt 2010 Reply with quote

Hi guys,
i'm pretty new here Embarassed in the forum and same for windsurfing. I just started planing during my last ride with a wind conditions of 25knots (sail 5.3) and some waves. I have a 2010 fanatic shark 135lt with a very long fin (his standard fin) and a friend of mine told me that i need a new fin for better controlling. What kind of fin you guys suggest for that conditions? My weight is about 85kg.
thaaaanks for the answers
Nicola
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are King Komg or God Zilla sized I'm thinking you might want a smaller board for 25 knots. What do you weigh? A 5.3 sail & 135 liter board is a bit of an odd combination for planing conditions.

Coachg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg is right that a 5.3 and 135l combination is odd, but why not if this is the only combination you can try.

I sail my Kona One (similar to 135l on the plane) with sails from 6.0 to 9.0 routinely. I have yet to try it with a 5.2, but will oblige when the wind will cooperate. What happens with large boards in higher wind is that they start to bounce around. You go super fast, but always on top of the chop, instead of slicing it. The water state will either make your ride great and fast (flat water) or bone rattling (big chop).

I use the stock fin (46 cm) , with 9.0 and 7.5 sails, and a 40 cm fin with the 7.5 and 6.0. I'll eventually get a longer fin for the 9.0.

Your Shark is probably speced from 6.0 to 9.0, with a 48 fin. The fin is close to the largest fin your board can accept. To go well with smaller sails, you should buy smaller freeride fins. They are not too expensive and extend the comfort zone of your board by a large margin. To figure out what sizes to get, you could look at the Makani fin guide. They recommend their Kohola in 37 for a 6.0 and in 43 for a 7.5 for a board similar to yours.

I definitely recommend getting at least a new fin for you board. Exact recommendation needs to take into account if you intend to buy a smaller board soon, your budget and the sails you are using.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try a Maui Fin Co. "Freewave" 36. It's a big jump from 48 I know, but more appropriate (although still on the big side) for a 5.3, and that's a good all-around fin that you'll use forever, if you take good care of it.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Unless you are King Komg or God Zilla sized I'm thinking you might want a smaller board for 25 knots. What do you weigh? A 5.3 sail & 135 liter board is a bit of an odd combination for planing conditions.

Coachg

I agree BUT it is doable! I remember using my 150L with 5.5 in 25mph+ winds and I only weigh 63kg. Was it fun...no...well kind of...eh..not a masochist.

If you'd still want to use your 135 shark (73 wide?) than I'd say you can try putting in a 35 Select Edge Freeslam which is great for rough conditions. I had a 2010 Shark in the same size and it was a favorite for sure! I used it with a 6.0 and 37cm S09 and it did pretty well.

-Kevin

dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with this valid well-intentioned advice unless you are truly full on planing and in the foot straps and harness. Only then will you be able to tell that the board is better behaved. If not, you'll just find yourself more easily blown downwind. dhmark
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: new fin for fanatic shark135lt 2010 Reply with quote

spigonico wrote:
Hi guys,
i'm pretty new here Embarassed in the forum and same for windsurfing. I just started planing during my last ride with a wind conditions of 25knots (sail 5.3) and some waves. I have a 2010 fanatic shark 135lt with a very long fin (his standard fin) and a friend of mine told me that i need a new fin for better controlling. What kind of fin you guys suggest for that conditions? My weight is about 85kg.
thaaaanks for the answers
Nicola

So Nicola, the question posed is what size fin can you downsize and maintain more control with the "existing" Shark.

I would look at a 32--35cm fin. The Black Project Fins , either the Freewave or Freeride, I would lean towards the Freewave in 32cm which has almost the same area as the Freeride 318 VS 323. What the decrease in fin length will accomplish is to make the Fanatic MORE manageable with a 5.3m sail. It will decrease the speed and improve its handling, its probably at the boards lower limit on the small size sail.

It will not be ideal, because a smaller board would be called for in a perfect equation.
http://www.blackprojectfins.com/products/windsurf-fins/freewave/

so you could consider a smaller board, and would be a wise thing to do, if your 5.3m sail time is frequent.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
carl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with Dhmark,

I think a waterstart lesson would be a MUCH better investment than a new fin or board. At your weight 85KG, you'll need to be able to waterstart, if you want to sail any smaller board. High wind sailing is also much safer if you can waterstart.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two words DANGER and SAFETY to OP spigonico

if you are new to windsurfing and planing in 25 knots with waves on a 135 liter board = WOW

for me 48 cm fin is for about an 8.x sail
in 25 knot wind with 85 kilos, a sail of about 4.4 would do the job
you are new to the sport, with too big a fin, too big a sail on too big a board
hope you have a helmet
you also mention waves - another wow

personally suggest you stay out of those winds until you have mastered planing in harness, water starts, etc {is harness used in REAL waves ? i live in a flat water with chop area}
if you are running parallel to the beach in on-shore winds the danger is diminished
don't spend money on a fin until you are happy with the sail and board combo
maybe you can borrow a fin from your friend ??
if you do get one - get a keeper - like other posters suggest

after posting, i was reflecting - how long were you up planing in those conditions before crashing - BIG ??
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is a new windsurfer, owns one board, and let's assume (hope) that by "waves" he means chop. 135 at 85kg is not so huge...I spent my first planing year on a 130 liter board (seatrend) weighing 75kg. I like Spennie's fin recommendation, or something else in that ballpark.

And waterstart lessons, as previously suggested.

spennie wrote:
I'd try a Maui Fin Co. "Freewave" 36. It's a big jump from 48 I know, but more appropriate (although still on the big side) for a 5.3, and that's a good all-around fin that you'll use forever, if you take good care of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: