myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new fin for fanatic shark135lt 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spigonico

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: thanks to everyone Reply with quote

Yes guys, as I'm a newbie on windsurfing, I own one board and two sails: custom 5.3 (from cabezo) and one naish 6.4. Most of the times i go out to sail with two different conditions: 15-20knots and 10knots. Waves for me means big chop, i'm not doing freewaves Wink . What I understood from your anwers is that I'll take a waterstart lessons, after that I'll by a new board for 20knots with a right fin. But for now if I have to sail with 20knots, and I think that in that conditions I'll go to sail for sure beacause i'm not the person that stay to the beach to see the wind ... I'll by the 36cm fin.

Last time with 20knots I planed for 1 or 2 minutes maximum with a final BIG crash!! he he I'm just learning.
So for 5.3 sail is ok. I know what i have to do. For the 6.4 the fin that i'll by for the 5.3 is still ok?
Guys thank you to everyone!! I have appreciated your answers that really helped me.
Nicola
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: thanks to everyone Reply with quote

spigonico wrote:
I'll by the 34cm fin.
Nicola

+1 to Makani Fins. Go to their website and use FIN GUIDE.
I have their Kohola 40 cm to use with 130 L board and 7.5-6.5 sails.
It's a great fin! Works much better than the original I fed to fish. Laughing
Makani powerbox fins might require some epoxy/sanding though.

Andrei
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It using anyone fin guide
a. its a guide, not a simple math equation that works out 100%, too many variable are present, your case a small fin on a larger board.

b. The sailors weight is considered to be 175lbs, more or less will need to be accounted for.

Strong suggestion is write to several companies and pose the issue with the people that make the fins, and consider the findings , not always correct either.

I am never right, so I have a zillion fins.
My thoughts on 1 fin to cover the range 5.3--6.4m is the right fin will cover that range for the most part, you could be a little small for the 6.4 and a little large for the 5.3.
One fin I looked at True Ames Surf Grass,29cm, has a lot of area, shows 5.3--6.4 as its range, this is a good fin regardless of weeds, I bring it up as a example not a definitive choice

somewhere in the length of 32--36cm depending on the fin and its area

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to U2U2U2 suggestion would be to eventually buy 2 fins.

You could start with a fin aimed at your 6.4. I guess that you will keep that fin for a long time since the 6.4 is within your board capacities. It could be a 40.

You can use this fin with your 5.3. Since your are not planning much yet, it will be easier for you to use a somewhat bigger fin. When you will start to experience the problems of an oversized fin (too much lift, board turns upwind, etc...) you could buy another smaller fin.

But by that time, you might already have a smaller board that will be a better fit for the 5.3 conditions and you will just not need a fin specific to your 5.3 and Shark.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the wind ranges you're highlighting, the 48cm fin is fine for 10knts, as it gives you a bit more power out of your 6.4. For 15-20knts, I would target a 34-36cm range. However, when selecting a fin, you should keep in mind the total area of the fin. A high aspect fin with a narrow chord width at the base will be significantly longer than a low aspect fin with a wide chord width at the base, but they both can have the same total area. For your board, if you don't have a problem with kelp or weeds, a higher aspect fin in the 34-36cm range would be best given the large width of your board.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ok - he is getting a fin Smile

should it be a weed ?
this is supposed to help in early planing and not give too much speed
obviously helps with weeds
and if one hits anything , it is not full on since fin is at an angle
also, some weed fins as discussed offer BIG range
{i am NOT a weed fin fan, butt is okay }

LOTSA LUCK - our season is almost over here in Montreal Crying or Very sad
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless there's weeds. Why buy a lower-performance fin if you don't need it? When he gets a little better he'll appreciate it, and won't have to buy another one.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Try stock fin for Fanatic Viper Reply with quote

I have the same board - Fanatic Shark 135L. Once I had to sail with weeds. Used stock 33cm fin from my family board (Fanatic Viper 190L). I was able to plane with 6.6 sail, not sure what the wind was.

I'm not an advanced windsurfer, just learning planing, foot straps and sometimes manage water start. I still prefer native 48cm fin on my Shark. Less chance to spin out after a bounce, or after closing the sail too fast. But on flat water with strong wind the 33cm fin works just fine on my Shark.

Andrei
www.na-windsurfing.com
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some easy good news: If you take care of your fin(s) they will last longer than your board, your sails, just about every piece of gear you have. So as you improve the fin you buy this year will still be useful to you as your boards and rigs change.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spennie said: NOT unless there are weeds

now THAT was the answer i was anticipating when i asked about weed fins planing earlier - there seemed to be MORE weed fin fans than regular !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: