myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Sail worth fixing. Also, recommend new sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2^3--I hear you on the maneuverability...but on my 121 liter I'm looking for light wind power and range. If the wind comes up then I can go to the 6.5 Cheetah and 100 liter board and be more maneuverable. Depending upon sailor weight and preferences he may prefer more maneuverability with a 7.5. Good point. I do have the luxury of the two boards/sails in to pick from in the 14 - low 20's MPH wind range and that means I don't have to be married to the 7.5 even if it can handle the wind as it ramps up to 6.5 or even 5.7---I can just switch if it's worth it, or hang on and blast if I don't want to switch...depends on the terrain.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasonable ,

I really do think that for a particular sailors, his weight and style along with physical condition, ability a few hundred other aspects that for a given board a OPTIMUM sail size exists, and I mean maximum, and this may change with location . My self I have found NO reason on any board to go over 7.5m.

Your sailing Bob is like mine almost exact, when we fall in we both get wet, otherwise you are in a class far about mine.

I do have fun from time to time LOL

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gschuel1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If U2 was on his 7.5 my 110kg carcass would be on my 10.0 Maui TR race sail and 155L/85cm board. This works for me up to 20 mph gusts as long as waves/chop are 1 foot or less.
windrockwater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the great comments and opinions. I read them all carefully.

After many attempts, i think i got the Wave Panther tuned pretty well. It did turn out to be over-tensioned battens. After some tweaking, i can get the sail to rotate much more smoothly. Granted there is still a little 'tug' to get the sail to rotate. At least without actually using it on the water where the wind may do that for me. It still seems a little strange that the battens (lower 2 or 3) are in the FRONT of the mast and not behind. But i guess that is by design and when the sail in under power, the battens create the draft pocket and move inline/behind the mast. I do like the fit and finish of the sail. As i mentioned it seems so well designed.

I took the plunge on a Retro 6.5 after alot of thinking. Mostly because i want to try another brand for comparison. Ha! I will post more after I put this puppy to work! Now back to standing at the door for the deliveryman...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I feel rather chuffed, as battens and Sailworks were both on my list.

I think the Retro will compliment things nicely, they have great customer support, and repairs if necessary.

I would be interesting to hear once you have sailed it a few times.

The beach/backyard rigging is a indicator how the sail should look, and some potential of performance on the H2O

but the real proof is in the Pudding....... ref your Ezzy comments

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be interested to see how you like that sail. I warn you though,
once you get a ride on a Retro (particularly in gusty
overpowered conditions), you may find yourself spending a lot of money
on smaller and larger Retros. I know I did.

-Craig

windrockwater wrote:
I took the plunge on a Retro 6.5 after alot of thinking. Mostly because i want to try another brand for comparison. Ha! I will post more after I put this puppy to work! Now back to standing at the door for the deliveryman...
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro's are good, but so are Matrix's and a host of other sails from every other sail company.
I don't think any company makes a bad 6.5 no cam freeride sail. I have Norths, Gaastra's, NP's, Ezzy's, and a host of other 5.5 thru 6.5's that work great and would match up to ANY brand new 2014 sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: