myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why We Should All Fear Government
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama won primarily in the sense that he wanted the shutdown for at least three reasons: it gave him a club with which to beat up the GOP, it gave him a vehicle which he used viciously to maximize the pain to the public and the armed forces, and it gives him expanded Executive Order privileges.

He and his party lost in the more real damage it did among the voters who put him in office. The independents saw through his BS and overtly stated refusal to negotiate, and their support of him has reversed from about 80% to about 20%. Even the far left media are catching on, and many of them -- even the NYT and occasionally NBC -- are ripping him new ones. And as Ocare's reality has sunken in among the Democratic congressmen, they, too, are distancing themselves from him and his policies.

"But he's not running again", you say. No, but Hillary is, and her lifetime achievement record is roughly Achievements, 0; Bombs, scores.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An accurate description of why the Republican party is no longer relevant in California:

Quote:
You got me right for once, and I'm throwing Peter King in there as well, and all the country club RINOs in DC that have been there too long, they've mutated into the "inside of the beltway" thinking, and in the process, forgetting why their constituents voted them in there in the first place.

Hard at work assuring a loss for the GOP in the next two elections. We Democrats thank you for your tireless help.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
it gave him a vehicle which he used viciously to maximize the pain to the public and the armed forces
You forgot puppies and kittens.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reason to fear the government. The people who vote..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02E4cj4Vvo

Signed a petition to support "An Orwellian Police State".
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose all of you know that in much of Europe, when a bank collapses its depositors get in the back of the line as creditors. i.e., the minute their money goes into a bank it becomes BANK property, not the depositor's. When the bank fails, customers' money goes to the bank's other debts first. In Spain, for example, failed banks often just reopen under a new name with only modest adjustments, flush with cash that, last week, depositors thought was theirs.

Why do we care? Because there are apparently moves behind closed doors in Washington to make depositors in U.S. banks creditors of the bank, just as in Spain. Meaning, if the bank goes under, your deposits are at risk of substantial loss, as if you were a shareholder in the bank.

I haven't even tried to confirm that yet, because I have some confidence it will hit the REAL news and talk radio buzz before the threat is imminent and in time for the GOP to squelch it. We can only hope.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://investmentwatchblog.com/must-watch-chase-bank-prepares-for-bank-runs-limits-cash-withdrawals-50k/

Chase seems to have limited withdrawals to $50k. Could this be true?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase was identified as very likely to fail in economics books published 2-3 years ago. That's one reason we wired Roth IRA funds to precious metals IRA accounts many months ago, poised to dump into metals when they bottom out sometime between now and January or so.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
In Spain, for example, failed banks often just reopen under a new name with only modest adjustments, flush with cash that, last week, depositors thought was theirs.

Why do we care? Because there are apparently moves behind closed doors in Washington to make depositors in U.S. banks creditors of the bank, just as in Spain. Meaning, if the bank goes under, your deposits are at risk of substantial loss, as if you were a shareholder in the bank.

But I thought you and all tea-bagging conservatives HATED government regulations, Mikey.

You mean you only hate regulations that don't directly benefit YOUR pocketbook?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what conservatives dislike -(HATE is common liberal tactical speak short for I'm currently incapable of critical thinking so I'll attach negative associations to my opponent) -regulations that divert money to the bleeding heart Liberal programs that fail to qualify the recipients and feed that sense of entitlement. Forced philanthropy?

http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid/99/ID/710736/Charity-has-to-come-from-the-heart-not-forced-from-the-wallet.aspx
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
I think what conservatives dislike -(HATE is common liberal tactical speak short for I'm currently incapable of critical thinking so I'll attach negative associations to my opponent) -regulations that divert money to the bleeding heart Liberal programs that fail to qualify the recipients and feed that sense of entitlement. Forced philanthropy?

http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid/99/ID/710736/Charity-has-to-come-from-the-heart-not-forced-from-the-wallet.aspx

No.... conservative republicans hate regulations that infringe on their self-perceived right to profit by creating a disadvantage to society.

Example: clean water, clean air regulations. Industry must pay to conform to these regulations, thus taking money out of owners' pockets. Republicans support industry to the exclusion of any greater good and thus lobby to reduce or eliminate regulations that are established to produce the greatest good for the greatest number.

Conservative republicans have a very hard time balancing personal benefits against societal benefits. And it's not that it should be "all personal" or "all society" -- it's the "balance" part that has them stymied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 7 of 63

Jump to: