myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
weed fin for earlier planing ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_windsurfxxx wrote:
i WAS surprised that someone who likes speed, would EVEN consider a weed fin ...

You should not be surprised. Most top speed fins have a rake angle of around 30 degrees - closer to the 40-45 degrees you find in weed fins than the 10 degrees typical for pointer fins. One example is the C3 Slingshot, which was responsible for many of the GPS top speeds outside of Lüderitz last year.

The higher rake on speed and weed fins gives more control on deep-downwind courses, where top speeds are reached. Increasing the rake from 30 to 45 degrees is not as bad as you might think. There are a few interesting lakes in Australia where shallow water and weed banks keep chop to a minimum, making 40 knots (almost) easy. But the only way to get going there at all is with a weed fin.

The fastest guy on our speed team always uses weed fins, regardless of need. He is typically 5 knots faster than anyone else out here going for speed, and points higher than most windsurfers would even consider.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stiffer fins provide stability when lit up. especially in corners with big chop. softer fins provide great pumping and low speed lift. there's the dichotomy.

for several years during testing larger free ride and free race boards, the hulls were ideal for lots of sailors. those boards with fins were designed/tested by extraordinary sailors. result, some fins were making sailors, that get on the water less frequently, feel as though the boards became wild and unruly as the wind became stronger. the editors would not allow everyone to change out fins because they were publishing results based on the whole pkg.

since i sailed solo for great periods of time during the lengthy test schedule, i validated my suppositions with personal trials. also had the luxury of testing RDM vs SDM on identical sails without having the re-rigging delays. and i took in data points from other testers after we had our reviews.

ultimate tractor pull feel from a given sail/mast/board/fin/ combo was RDM with a soft molded fin. also, the roughest/heaviest feeling kit when the wind would suddenly decide to pick up. the opposite was true for us when the conditions started out strong and tapered off. G-10 fins were all over the performance map, because there are less flex characteristics because G-10 has less lay ups available.

i'm not advocating or denigrating any choices, just sharing observations.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try out the True Ames Surf grass, http://trueames.com/shop/surfgrass or Surfing Sports Weed wave fins. http://surfingsports.com/freeweed_10.asp They are very nice fins and work well with my Fanatic Freewave 85l and the large True Ames with the Fanatic Hawk 135. I have an older Curtis Carbon weed blade is fast but the wave fins are still fast and plane up well. They also have good up wind drive, nice to have in the waves.
Give one a try. Mike
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: weed fin for earlier planing ? Reply with quote

joe_windsurfxxx wrote:

Well, at least Makani is NOT claiming earlier planing ... {they call it planning Smile }

Every day I plan to plane
The planning makes me quite insane
Which board to use? Which sail to rig?
(Not too little, not too big.)

Planning, planing, both are good
Because, my friend, it's understood
That planning planing is the way
To sail and plane and smile all day.

Boredman
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_windsurfxxx wrote:
assuming NO weeds, sand banks, rocks, etc ....

i WAS surprised that someone who likes speed, would EVEN consider a weed fin ...

i feel like John said - lazy plane up style MAY be rewarded !!

You'd be surprised, a lot of speed fins (not slalom fins) have a lot more rake than you'd expect. Hurricane made some really nice speed weed fins that I know were kicking butt at West Kirby. Even some of the newer slalom fins from Ifju, Kashy, Select, and K4 have some rake to them.

2014 Select Hot Rod speed fin.

-Kevin

KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
joe_windsurfxxx wrote:

You should not be surprised. Most top speed fins have a rake angle of around 30 degrees - closer to the 40-45 degrees you find in weed fins than the 10 degrees typical for pointer fins. One example is the C3 Slingshot, which was responsible for many of the GPS top speeds outside of Lüderitz last year.

The higher rake on speed and weed fins gives more control on deep-downwind courses, where top speeds are reached. Increasing the rake from 30 to 45 degrees is not as bad as you might think. There are a few interesting lakes in Australia where shallow water and weed banks keep chop to a minimum, making 40 knots (almost) easy. But the only way to get going there at all is with a weed fin.

The fastest guy on our speed team always uses weed fins, regardless of need. He is typically 5 knots faster than anyone else out here going for speed, and points higher than most windsurfers would even consider.

5 knots...damn that would be demoralizing for me haha. Which team on you on ? GPS Team Challenge team?

-Kevin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: