myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience young folks like me never wake up and start loving the reality of a rich ruling class.
That is the point I am trying to make.
We can find ourselves in bed with them and not notice the smell.

I don't think it is caused by employment.
It is a side effect of self administered deception from reading the Drudge report and listening to Talk.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a word for you besides ill-informed rr. Selfish. The poor pay taxes:

Quote:
But the founding principles of the tumblr and the “53 percent” meme itself is flawed. It is true that 47 percent of Americans did not pay net federal income taxes in 2009 — the number is unusually high because of the depression in incomes following the recession — but it is completely false that only 53 percent of Americans pay taxes.

For example, if you look at state and local taxes, the working poor actually pay a higher percentage of their income in these taxes in every state except for Vermont. In “Alabama, for example, low-income families (which make less than $13,000) pay 11 percent of their income in state and local taxes, while those making more than $229,000 pay just 4 percent.”

And it is worth noting that Americans who are too poor to be asked to pay net federal income taxes are not a good target for those complaining that some aren’t paying their fair share. If there’s one group of Americans that is paying less and less as the median American family is asked to pay more, it’s the super-wealthy. As this chart from Wealth for the Common Good shows, the top 400 taxpayers — who have more wealth than half of all Americans combined — are paying lower taxes than they have in a generation, as their tax responsibilities have slowly collapsed since the New Deal era as working families have been asked to pay more and more:

Rather than taking aim at some of the poorest members of our society — 62 percent of whom have incomes under $20,000 — Americans should be asking how we can get the super-wealthy to pay tax rates closer to their modern historical average and how we can lift up the incomes of those who are too impoverished to be asked to pay federal income taxes.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mac,

You're right, not that I'm selfish, but that your country is going to hell in a hand basket and I'm ill informed of US abortion economics. If that is the case over there then I get what you're saying. I can tell you that I paid a whole lot more than the 4% in your example and I even paid more than the 11% of the less fortunate.

I guess if you are a man of your convictions you must pay more then you have to, since as you stated before you're in that 1% group, right? I think you admitted before you did not, right? Right + Right = more material for Daniel Tosh.

Damn, I'm glad I'm Canadian! America is the greatest nation? Thanks for endlessly clarifying for me how that is NOT the case. Damn it I love this country!

KC,
The majority of my comment was poking fun, but I am curious what a poor ruling class might offer.

Last edited by KGB-NP on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Tibet they had the same gov. for a thousand years. The people liked it and did not feel any need for elections.
Many gov. officials owned only a bowl and a spoon and begged for a living.
In Thailand the King remembers the value of this and most young men must spend a year as a begging monk, including the king himself and his playboy son and ministers.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I'm not sure I want to live like a Tibetan monk either. And that begging thing, I'll pass on that one too. Neither would allow me to go windsurfing too often. I'm too selfish you know.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it concerning that a major theme of the Republican party right now is that folks are being totally reamed by federal income taxes, when in fact federal income tax responsibilities have been at record lows for better than ten years.

When I was young, federal income taxes were significantly higher than they are now as a percentage of income. Did that make feel that the government was screwing me? Did it keep me from getting ahead?

Folks are being fed specious lies that are designed to make them hate our government. They are being taught that 47% of Americans are losers. Lots of hate being promoted and circulated by the right. One has to ask, what kind of good can come out of that?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote "I don't know RR, do you think that competence involves the ability to spell? Hatred--of Obama, unions, and liberals--is just so becoming."

Swchandler wrote, "Folks are being fed specious lies that are designed to make them hate our government. They are being taught that 47% of Americans are losers. Lots of hate being promoted and circulated by the right. One has to ask, what kind of good can come out of that?"

Hate huh? Will you cast the first stone?
Disgusted, frustrated, annoyed, disagree.....might be more suitable?
What message are you teaching? Hate the right, or that you disagree with them...disgusted, frustrated, annoyed?

Cool! I didn't know I HATE Obama or Liberals, but thanks for letting me know. Disgusted by unions and their behaviour and tactics? Hell ya! Hate? No. I see they are needed just not their perverted power. Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I didn't get to go to college and learn to dislike rich white folk, and spell. Wink

Just so we're clear, can you fill me in on who I all hate. Don't forget the teachers when you're making my list.

BTW, Later on today I will go windsurfing to Sandbanks. The usual crew will consist of two teachers, municipal engineer, doctor (civil servant to some extent),fireman, a cabinet maker, photo share website owner, chiropractor. Those civil servants and union types better pray I set them on fire with all that HATE I have bottled up inside. It is funny though that they, and my best friend (municipal planner) do have some of the most insightful stories as to just how well things are managed in their work places.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fact RR (peer reviewed by independent observers Wink ) that an excess supply of bananas (beyond that necessary for survival) brings out the worst instincts in individual members of a chimp colony. They turn aggressively selfish to acquire as many as they possibly can.

Substitute humans (whether they can spell, or otherwise) for chimps, and available excess wealth for excess bananas, and the same pattern applies.

Unsurprisingly I suppose, since we share something like 98% of our D.N.A. with our knucle dragging cousins! Laughing
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Hate and now greed /hoarding. Anything else? Should we do a % taxes paid and charitable givings comparison here? I might surprise you.
Thanks for the evolutionist's metaphor. At least you refrained from a pond scumb anology.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
It is a fact RR (peer reviewed by independent observers Wink ) that an excess supply of bananas (beyond that necessary for survival) brings out the worst instincts in individual members of a chimp colony. They turn aggressively selfish to acquire as many as they possibly can.

Damn! Someone needs to be sure that Obama doesn't give too many bananas to the knuckle-draggers.

Of course, speaking of knuckle-draggers, there's always this guy........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 84 of 201

Jump to: