myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longboard Racing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Longboard Racing Reply with quote

If anyone in northern CA is interested in racing longboards, PM me. The Lake Washington Sailing Club www.lwsailing.org holds annual dinghy/laser races and they have expressed an interest in adding windsurf racing to their regattas. The format would be course racing with longboards.

If you are interested but do not have a longboard I may be able to provide one though the CSUS Aquatic Center.

Coachg
parabuteo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES...I have been racing mostly Mistral Superlight 1's & 2's
with Windsurfer Fleet 18 every Tuesday evening
April-September in Foster City for 5 years. Great bunch of
sailors, lots a fun. I would love to race @ Lake Washington. I live in Yuba
City...what can I do to promote this?..

I Realy Realy wanna do this!

Jjue got your Superlight ready ???

Mike Harrison Very Happy
vayu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoachG, I am in. I don't have a long board though. I have RSX board which would have advantage in planning condition. -Deva
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

You can help promote this by finding people to race. One of the board members approached me about adding windsurfing to races. He said if we can get at least 6 windsurfers they can add it to the race series as a fleet.

The club holds three types of races. One is the informal "Beer Can" series that runs every Thursday starting the 1st Thur in May through the last Thur in Sept. The Thur races tend to be only Lasers because the winds are normally stronger, 10-12 knots with occasional 20 knot days. The second type of race is the One Design series that runs about once a month on a Sat. The One Design races are all day with many different fleets so it is lighter wind with far more boats. The third race is the Delta Dinghy Ditch which is a down winder from Rio Vista to Lake Washington down the deep water channel.

I was thinking the Thur night series would be perfect to add a windsurfing fleet for racing. The Thur night series only sees Lasers because of the stronger wind, hard on the other fleets, and the shorter period of time as setting up & launching a boat other than a Laser takes too long for a 2 hour race. The club charges $5 per race or $20 for the series on Thur night racing.

Coachg
vayu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoachG, I am in. I don't have a long board though. I have RSX board which would have advantage in planning condition. -Deva
J.A.M.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested. I sailed in the Laser races there a few years ago. Back then some of the members didn't like it when I brought my longboard out, but it sounds they are more tolerant of windsurfers now.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I first joined about 5 years ago, that was the feeling I got. Some old guy gave me the 3rd degree when I first showed up to sail, inspecting my car to make sure I had a parking permit. He wasn't very happy.

But the board has turned over since then. They are younger & much more amenable to windsurfers as they asked me to do a windsurfing demonstration during the Open House and now they have asked me to see if we can get at least 6 windsurfers to race as a fleet.

Coachg
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a nearly-new Kona One for sale in "longboards" here on iWindsurf.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a go next spring. Deva, your RSX will be fine. NOR's will require a centerboard for the racing. Weather permitting I may push the windsurfing start into April instead of waiting until May.

Coachg
jackjj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard about this from Parabuteo ( mike )
I'm in , sounds like fun , I also used to race Lasers but sold my Laser when I got into windsurfing ... have a Mistral Superlight I, and Mistral Maui....
So, can we participate in the races without being members of the Lake Washington Sailing club just by paying the race fees?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: